Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georgia brigad uniforms circa may-july 1863???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia brigad uniforms circa may-july 1863???

Does anyone have any information on Gordon’s Georgia Brigade uniforms or equipment issues at or around the Gettysburg campaign? I know they were in the ANV since 62 however I have not been able to find any records or accounts of uniform issues. I was wondering if anyone could help? Yes I have used the search engine on this site and Google as well. Found one image but it was early war in civilian attire. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris Reed

Re: Georgia brigad uniforms circa may-july 1863???

According to one observer who saw Gordon's men in York, PA on the way to Gettysburg:"There dress was a wretched mixture of cuts and colors. There was not the slightest attempt at uniformity in this respect.Every man seemed to have put on whatever he could get hold of,without regard to shape or color.I noticed a pretty large sprinkling of blue pants among them, some of those, doubtlessthat were left by Milroy at Winchester."

Another noticed that quite a few of Gordon's men were wearing knapsacks captured from the 87th Pennsylvania at Winchester (which had been recruited in York) and some of the names painted on them were familiar to its citizens.

A considerable amount of plunder was gained while in York, including hats and shoes. When Gordon's men entered Gettysburg in late June They were described as wearing "all kinds of hats and caps, even to heavy fur ones, and some were barefooted." At least several had "piles of hats on their head. Attached is a contemporary drawing of Confederates entering York. Note the pioneers out front.
    Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
    X