Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Cloth "Leathers"

Hi All!

I was looking at purchasing some painted cloth leathers and had a couple of different remarks as to when and where they would be considered appropriate. Can anyone tell me about what year and/or battle that they were first used in large numbers (if they were)? And where could I find a set of said accoutrements.

Thanks
    Nathan Miles
    48th Alabama

Re: Painted Cloth "Leathers"

Nathan,

The topic of "painted cloth accoutrements" came up a week or so ago. Check this thread out:

Also Jason Rich makes nice accoutrements might want to check his site:

Steve LaBarre
    CornFed Comrades

Comment

I appreciate the help!

Thanks!
      Nathan Miles
      48th Alabama

Comment

Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot makes a top notch leather and painted cloth roller buckle belt. Almost an exact copy of the one in EOG CS pages 192-193.

Mark Stuart

Comment

Hi,

I agree with Mr. Stuart, I just bought my self a set from Don Smith.

Andrew Kasmar
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I've got products from all of the excellent merchants above, with Mr. Smith's being first rate, Jason Rich's great (its worth the communication delays), and I would also add that I saw some of Leyton Young's fine Williams, Brand, & Co repros through Dirty Billy's Hats at Olustee last week. He has cartridge boxes, cap pouches, and box slings available now.
            Ross L. Lamoreaux
            rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I must agree Don Smith produces a fine set of accoutrements. On a separate note, the Atlanta History Center has a few artifacts which are said to have been produced in Columbus, Ga around 62. Through Dirty Billy, I acquired a reproduced set. He noted the maker to be Latan Young. If you were to pursue this option I would recommend going through Dirty Billy as Latan can be difficult to link up with.

David
              David Norton

Comment

Does Leyton Young have a website? There is nothing on Dirty Billy's site about accouterments...
                Last edited by sepoy1857; 02-26-2008, 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling
                Regards,
                Scott Dallimore
                14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                -------------------------------------

Comment

Mr. Young is quite old school - he has no website and doesn't make anything very often anymore. Even back in the day he made a few things and just showed up at an event and opened the car trunk. You will not find any of those accoutrements on Dirty Billy's website, so either email or call directly, as he carries them on the road to events and he is coming back from Olustee and Aiken this week.
                  Ross L. Lamoreaux
                  rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Working...
                  X