Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common...

Dear pards,

How often would you have seen a kepi in the ranks of a western theater federal infantry unit?
    Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
    Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Re: How common...

Rocky,
    I am by no means going to say that I have never asked a "How common" question, and by no means am I trying to squash the interest you have again in the hobby. Take some time, and look at the original pictures of the troops in and around Nashville, Atlanta and Chattanooga, and you can make that call yourself. Probably pretty rare to say the least. Study a little bit rather that wanting information handed to you, be a student of the period first and a reenactor second.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Look at the photo of the company of 2nd Michigan infantrymen, 100% kepis, and then look at the photo of the 17th Illinois, maybe 1% kepis. Both served in the siege of Vicksburg.
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Rocky
        I am going to Echo Pat to try to steer this in the right direction here. Attached are some images from the Library of Congress. I am not including citations because its late, and I am sure everyone else here is aware of the images provenance. Some others things to consider; Kepi’s predominance in western Federal ranks as opposed to Hardee, forage or civilian attire; is this question unit specific, or event specific? There is much to consider.
        Further reading as well;
        United States Army Headgear 1855-1902 Edgar M. Howell
        Most Respectfully
        Drew A. Gruber
        Attached Files
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Working...
        X