Federal privates in NCO gear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal privates in NCO gear...

I recently viewed some late war photographs from a private collection in which some Federal privates could be seen wearing NCO belts as well as fatigue blouses with "service year" stripes a fixed. Now, it is fact that the men in the aforementioned photos are privates (as the photos are from a private family collection), so my question is more along the lines of whether or not this was a common practice amongst Federal troops to "improve" their gear? I am not too familiar with NCO issued items being commonplace for privates' dress in the field.
    Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM.

Re: Federal privates in NCO gear...

Comrade,

Are you certain that they were not NCO's with plain blouses?
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

No, they were not. One of the men, in fact (to whom most of the photos originally belonged to), was a private and personally labeled the back of the photos himself with inscriptions. He himself could be seen wearing a private's issue blouse with an NCO belt (clearly visible); all normal accoutrements were attached. A friend and fellow soldier of his (who the private also identifies as another private) can be seen in both an NCO belt and with "service year" stripes a fixed to his fatigue blouse.
      Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM.

Comment

what is a NCO fatigue blouse? Do you mean he had stripes?
        [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Slouch View Post
          what is a NCO fatigue blouse? Do you mean he had stripes?
          Yeah, I'd like to know what you mean by an NCO fatigue blouse. I've never heard of such a thing.

Respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Please reread the post for clarification, sirs.

Comment

Hallo!

"I recently viewed some late war photographs from a private collection in which some Federal privates could be seen wearing NCO belts as well as fatigue blouses with "service year" stripes a fixed."

I think the intent is that "NCO" modifies just "belt, " and not "fatigue blouses."

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

It does indeed and the error is my fault.

Comment

Was this the picture of the 4 soldiers from the 30th Pennsylvania/aka 1st Reserves? The reason I ask is that the one NCO is listed on the back of that CDV as a private , although a NCO stripe on his trowsers is clearly visible on his trowsers. After some research I was able to prove without a doubt that the notation is/was wrong. How so? The 4 are all NCO's in the photo . I retrieved their dates of promotion from the Archives . Anyway, you may want to . If it's bugging you enough to check the archives in DC . That of course is if you know the regiment . Can you post the photo?
                  Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Well if the men really weren't NCOs I think there is a pretty simple answer to the question.

The men in the photo needed new equipment and the depot/supply train issued them whatever it had on hand, especially since it was "late war".
                    Bob Sandusky
                    Co C 125th NYSVI
                    Esperance, NY

Comment

Do you have a date when this picture was taken, or what theater of the war it was in? Perhaps this was taken at a time when supplies were more scarce and the troops grabbed what they could find. From what I know, this scenario would be more likely in the highly mobile western armies.
                      James Duffney
                      61st NY
                      Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

The "service stripe" is most likely the Veteran Volunteer stripe.
                        I am, etc.
                        Thomas Gingras
                        Awkward Squad Mess
                        Columbia Rifles
                        Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I have seen an image somewhere of a few of "Sherman's finest" wearing NCO belts with regular accoutrements and fatigue blouses. I will see if I can dig it up. I would love to see the image in question,any chance you could post it?-ELI GEERY
                          -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                          "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                          "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                          "The Bully Boys"
                          "The Hard Case Boys"
                          "The Independant Mess"
                          29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                          3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=4003

Comment

In my research of the 124th New York, I have found two examples of Privates wearing NCO Belt Buckles, both of whom never had been promoted. On top of that I've found a private who wore an officer's buckle and belt. David Kidd wrote home that he got himself an officer's buckle because it was lighter than the Enlisted lead filled one. I have a picture of Kidd wearing his officer's buckle as well as the buckle itself.

While this doesn't seem to have been a common thing, it's just like so many other little occurrences that express just how much individualism and practical thinking played in the ranks.

Respectfully,
                              Ryan McIntyre
                              124th New York State Volunteers
                              Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                              Joseph H. Johnston
                              March 16th 1863
                              Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                              Henry M Howell
                              March 8 1863
                              In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Working...
                              X