Cravat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravat

How common was it for a soldier to wear a cravat while on Campaign? Also I have seen many worn while taking a Photo? I am doing a new period photo this year and wanted to know if I should include my Cravat. My Grandmother has a photo of my one ancestor and hes wearing one so I think I will mimick his pose and dress so out come those gaiters lucky 7th! :cry_smile
    Drew Ingram
    7th NJ CO A
    2nd Battalion
    6th Marines
    WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Re: Cravat

Most of my research has been done on UNION soldiers and what they wore from photos. In 61' you can see quite a few who wore cravats but this was at established camps. In winter quarter photos I have seen maybe 2 soldiers were wearing them and they were of the neck stock type so it could have been a shadow or a blot. From 62-63 I have never seen an enlisted soldier wear a cravat on the battlefield. I have seen some winter quarter encampments where a soldier wore one but this could have been due to him knowing that his picture was being taken and wanted to look like a Jim Dandy. There is a picture that I have seen of union scouts (civillian and military) that have worn cravats. It is a second or third hand source so I wouldn't consider it too reliable. Mostly officers wore the cravat and that can be seen throughout the war. Like you said, MANY wore them to take their photos. This last is my own opinion; wearing one was more of a business dress and would have been uncomfortable to wear when dealing with the march, battle, and fatigue.

I hope what I have to offer is of some help.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][I]Shawn Dyer
    1st OVI Co. A
    Lancaster Guards[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Cravat

That was great! Thank you for the info it was what I figured!
      Drew Ingram
      7th NJ CO A
      2nd Battalion
      6th Marines
      WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

Working...
      X