Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private purchase Sack Coat

Gents,
    I'm going to build a Private Purchase Sack Coat. My Question is, was there a vent ( slit ) in the back of the coat like a frock or just solid in the back like a sack coat ? I have some pix but none of the back. What lining do you think it had? Has anyone seen one that can give me any help on this. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Art :)
    Art Stone
    13th N.J.V.
    Co."K"
    " Rally, Boys Rally"
    Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Re: Private purchase Sack Coat

As there was not one particular style of private purchase coat, and there are many images out of there, but few remaining examples, you could go with either. I've only seen detailed images of 4 existing coats, three of which were for officers and only one known to have been for an enlisted man, and three did not have the split or vent in the rear, and one did. The one which did have the vent was about 10 inches high from the bottom, of which the coat was lined in black polished cotton with two interior pockets in the lower chest and two exterior patch pockets on the outside lower.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Arthur,

For lining you can't go wrong with black or brown polished cotton cut on the bias.

Best,

Dan
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Art,

I purchased one for Joe Hoffman several years back that was made by Pat Brown (wearing in my picture) and was based on an original officers coat. Mine does have a vent in the back that actually buttons at the bottom. It uses a small plain brass button. Knowing Pat's work, I'm sure it is probably right on the money. Best bet is to try to get a look at an original to get the specs if possible.
        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to make an EM's P.P. Sack Coat. Extending about four in. below the finger tips. I bought some of B. Tart's Blouse material from Dan W. and I think it perfect for this project. I like the vent idea, and a 10 in. vent in the back sounds good. With a little tiny button at the bottom of the vent. Black Polished cotton for the lining. One breast pocket and two flap pockets on the lower. I think just below the belt for the pockets is right. In the book "For Fatigue Purposes" They have some great pix of P.P. Sacks. I'm going to do some more research before I begin, just to get it right. I have three yards of Family Heirloom Blouse material and will make another Schyulkill Arsenal Sack coat in the mean time. Any help would be great on the P.P. Sack.

Thanks again !!!

Art :)
          Art Stone
          13th N.J.V.
          Co."K"
          " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Sounds like a fun project, Art! Would love to see some pics when you get it done!

I am working on an officers sack right now... and it is no small challenge.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Gents,

I had a little time this week so I put together a P.P EM Sack Coat. I had two yards of Family Heirloom sack material left so I used it up. I'll make a officer's Sack from the material I bought off of Dan W. this winter. Hope you like the coat.

Art

" Work of Art Mercantile"
              Last edited by Arthur Stone; 05-20-2008, 06:22 PM.
              Art Stone
              13th N.J.V.
              Co."K"
              " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Art, Super job as always! Bud:)
                Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Art,
                  Looks beautiful. I have seen other items you have made and you are one super talented fellow...and a bully friend to boot!

Joe
                  Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Bud & Joe,

Thank you both for the compliment on the coat! Coming from the two of you means a lot to me. You've both been around a long time and seen it all in this hobby. I'm just sorry I didn't start making this stuff twenty years ago.

Your Friend,

Art
                    Art Stone
                    13th N.J.V.
                    Co."K"
                    " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Art,

"Fine craftsmanship as always", Sherman's boys could have used you on the march to the sea!

Your Pard,
                      Pvt. Pete Mahalow
                      13th N.J.V. Co." K"
                      [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]Pete Mahalow

Comment

Art,
                        Beautiful-looking coat! I'm sure glad I'm one of the lucky few to own a coat you made!
                        -Joe Bordonaro,
                        13th NJ Volunteers, Co. K
                        Joe Bordonaro

Comment

I'm just trying flap pockets for the first time... They're a bit of work! Nice job on the coat!
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Here are some notes on an original private purchase sack coat: http://www.cjdaley.com/ltstarr.htm
                            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X