Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Issue Federal Blankets

All,
    I'm searching for any sources anyone knows about (QM return records, photographic evidence, etc.) the use of non-issue blankets in the Western Federal ranks. Has anyone done any work on this?

Thanks,
    MS
    [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
    [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
    "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
    [COLOR="Red"]
    Marmaduke's Raid
    MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
    [/COLOR]

Re: Non-Issue Federal Blankets

Umm, yes..... I posted the following in another thread a very long time ago:

Indianapolis Daily Sentinel, 26 April 1861:

QUARTER-MASTER GEN. DEPAR'T.,‎
    INDIANAPOLIS, IND., April 25, 1861‎

PROPOSALS WILL BE RECEIVED AT THIS DEPARTMENT until Monday evening, the 29th ‎inst., at six o'clock P. M. for furnishing the following articles for the use of the six regiments ‎now mustered into the service of the United States., viz:‎

Coat and pants of strong, cheap woolen goods. Samples of materials to accompany ‎proposition.‎
    Two (2) Flannel Shirts.‎
    Two (2) Pairs Cotton Drawers.‎
    Two (2) " Wool Socks.‎
    Two (2) " High-quarter Shoes.‎

Samples to accompany propositions.‎
    Also, one Felt Hat or Woolen Cap. Samples to accompany propositions.‎
    Also, four thousand seven hundred (4,700) pairs of Grey Blankets, of about 6 lbs. in ‎weight, and the usual army size. Samples to accompany propositions. Each bidder will specify the number of the above articles he can furnish, and the time ‎within which he can deliver them. The early delivery will be an inducement in awarding the ‎contract.‎
    Specifications in detail will be embraced in each contract, and the articles will be subject ‎to inspection under the contract before being received.‎
    The above propositions will be sealed and marked, "Proposals for Clothing," and be ‎directed to the Quarter-master General of Indiana Militia, City Quarters, Indianapolis.‎
    T. A. Morris, Q. M. Gen.‎

Cin. Times, Daily Enquirer, Daily Commercial, and Daily Gazette copy one time and ‎send bill to this office.‎

apr. [26]‎

Indianapolis Daily Sentinel, 3 May 1861:

UNIFORMING TROOPS.--The Quartermaster General yesterday [Thursday, 2 May] awarded ‎contracts for uniforms their six regiments as follows:‎

Two regiments to Glaser & Brothers. Suits to consist of jacket and pants, of cadet ‎satinett, at $7 90 per suit.‎

J. W. Geisendorff & Co., one regiment. Jeans jackets and pants at $6 50 per suit.‎

Merritt & Coughlin and E. A. Hall, one regiment. Jeans jackets and pants at $7 00 per ‎suit.‎

S. J. Smith, Arthur Orr and B. N. Lanham, of Madison [Indiana], one regiment. Grey ‎satinett, at $6 75 per suit.‎

‎(Suits for the 11th regiment have been contracted for by Col. Wallace some days since.)‎

Contracts for flannel shirts and cotton drawers for five regiments were awarded to Glaser ‎& Brothers. Shirts at $1 40 each; drill drawers at 40 cents each.‎

Nearly the entire contract for shoes was awarded to Benedict & Hall, of New York, at $1 ‎‎15 per pair.‎

The entire contract for blankets was awarded to D. W. Parish, of Philadelphia.

All to be ‎delivered within twenty-five days, under a penalty of $3,000 on each contract.‎

Light-colored taper crown felt wool hat--to be looped under each side, at $1 25 each--for ‎five regiments, was awarded to Dodd & Co., of Cincinnati.‎

‎[NOTE: The above hats were furnished to the 6th-10th IVI's; the 11th IVI wore gray ‎‎"kepi-style" caps with red crowns).‎

A search through the papers (e.g., those of Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois) will reveal more details on state-issue blankets. In the case of Indiana, the state apparently furnished troops state-contract blankets at least into the fall of 1861 since a Federal QM operation was not established in Indianapolis until late August and didn't really get going until some weeks later (the first contract bid solicitation put out was dated around 1 October '61). I suspect the Cannelton IN woolen mills provided blankets as did the firm of J. Geissendoff of Indianapolis. Geissendorff's operation was massive by July 1861 and could process raw wool into uniforms on an "in by 9, out by 5" basis.

I suppose you're also aware that large numbers of non-issue blankets were shipped to troops during the fall and winter of 1861 to fill the gap due to logistical bottlenecks. The Indiana Adjutant General published appeals for these in the Indiana papers. Troops also obtained non-issue blankets via other channels such as shipments from local aid societies, the Sanitary and Christian Commissions, private purchase or, of course, as is common in war, outright thievery.

I would recommend you do some newspaper research (if you're in Illinois, obvious papers to check would be in Chicago, Cairo, St. Louis, Springfield, Champaign, etc.). You may be pleasantly surprised by your findings.

Good luck,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thanks Mark,
      I know Vicki Betts online archive has numerous articles for Southern newspapers. Are you aware of any sources for Federal archived newspapers online?

Thanks again,
      MS
      [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
      [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
      "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
      [COLOR="Red"]
      Marmaduke's Raid
      MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry to be lacking specific quotes, but some research at Springfield, Ill. in the Army auditors report at the archives showed issue/bills for red, gray and even green blankets for Ill. volunteers. Along with the usual gray, brown.... Course, this was all 1861 as I recall

If Greg Schuller sees this, hopefully he will shed more light. He has a copy of the microfilm reels.

John Pillers
        TSM
        John Pillers
        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
        X