Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indegenous Wildlife ca. 19th century America

Speaking for Indiana:

Many people have wondered why there is a bison on our Stae Seal (in fact, my fiance had to argue with a teacher during her last semester in college that bison were indeginous). We certainly had them here in our early Statehood. By the 1860's they, like the peoples we were named after, were all but gone.

Most Indiana game present today were present then as well. By 1957 we had hunted the White tail deer to extinction...let me assure you that this is no longer a problem here. Quail, coyote, grey squirrel, crow, blue birds, Jays, martins, starlings, grackel, pigeons, chipmunk, rabbit, muskrat, possum, raccoon, and many more all still abound (a few of the above routinely are found in my garage).

Three off the top of my head that we have had fair success in bringing back in recent years (would have been common in s. 19):
    Bobcat: You can hear them scream out at my parents house now, they sound like an evil woman.
    Turkey: So successful that we have two hunting seasons now.
    Pheasant: Not doing quite as well with these, mostly in Northern Indiana, which any true Hoosier will tell you is full of fake Hoosiers that trace their lineage to PA and OH...Gads!!

Wolves only live in Wolf Park in Lafayette, though they did roam free at one time.

Bill Young would be profoundly better at discussing this than I. I may have eaten nearly every living creature, but Bill has likely killed one.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Joe A. and Everyone,

Both the black bear and the panther (as well as the cougar) can still be seen in Northwest Louisiana. Though few in numbers they are still around. I believe that the state of Louisiana released some black bear back into the wild several years ago. I remember reading a newspaper article about a number of black bear being sited around Shreveport about two years back.

Now the panther and the cougar too have both been sighted in the area. I have seen a few panther's have their pictures taken by the tree cameras that deer hunters use to locate deer. Now the cougar or "mountain lion" I have seen with my own eyes at my Grandparents (8 miles south of Pleasant Hill.) Pretty scary thing to see when you are 12 years old hunting squirrels by your self. I wasn't expecting to see that come trotting out of the brush and they never told me that they were around.

I've also seen a turkey...and a few road-runners.

Regards,
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
      ETHC
      [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
      [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

I have found this disscussion interesting and somewhat amusing.

I think that our knowledge of the era we protray can only help our impressions.

An example is a Pheasent feather stuck in a hat I used to see that years ago . I know that featheres are mostly a streamer thing but....The ring necked pheasent from whom that feather came was not introduced to north America until 1881.

Keep the bits' of information coming :)

Rm
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

How I could forget the Diamondback Terrapin?
          Attached Files
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

In Arkansas where I grew up bears were so common in the 19th cent. that bear oil was a major trade item. Matter of fact Oil Trough got its name from that trade.

Of course the state bird, the mosquito, was around in our period, as were the tick, red bug (chigger), and the all time favourite of swamp boys like me, the water moccasin.
            Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
            Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
            Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Grizzlies once roamed freely over all of California, which is why it's on our State flag...today you'd be hard pressed to find one anywhere in the State roaming wild...
              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Same with the California Condor, which number less than 100 now in the wild...
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Garrison,

I remember seeing many diamondback terrapins down in the Carolina salt-water marshes and swamps when I was a kid. I can't exactly remember where they were located but those things seemed to be crossing the roads in droves. At one time on the same vacation, my dad pulled the van over so I could jump out and try to get one off the road before someone ran it over...just before I got to it someone in the oncoming lane swerved and deliberately smashed it.

Does anyone know the status of the hellbender salamander in your region?
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

At one time, the Eastern Elk's range included Pennsylvania but it has since become extinct. In 1913 the Rocky Mountain Elk (which I think is different from the Eastern Elk) was introduced to Pennsylvania. Today's Elk heard can be traced back to those animals released between 1913-1926. As of the Fall of 2007 the Pennsylvania Elk heard is estimated to exceed 700 animals. The Elk range encompasses the northern counties of Pennsylvania (Cemeron, Elk, Clinton, Potter, and Tioga Counties).
                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Robert Masella
                    Wheeling Fencibles
                    Pridgeon's Shenandoah Legion
                    Southern Division

"Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat" (The one whom God wants to destroy, he first makes mad): Col. S. Crutchfield, (Jackson's Chief of Artillery)[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by shmhistorylive View Post
                      The Arizona Game & Fish Department published a book that used original sources to document the earliest game sightings mentioned in the state. Noted were grizzly bears and wolves, both of which are no longer found in the state, although there has been an attempt to reintroduce wolves. What is interesting is that there is no early mention of elk, but there are places in AZ where they are a pest to ranchers. Martin mentioned beavers which there are some, but they aren't the original variety and the same goes with wild turkeys. Both of those had to be re-intorduced.
                      Mick, when I was younger (somewhere between the 5th and 7th grade), my mom and I were hiking in Madeira Canyon and we came across a mother black bear and a cub. My mom quickly made us about-face and run (yes, run) the other direction while blowing a whistle. Black bears are the only specie of bear still found in Arizona, though I think their numbers are pretty low.
                      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                      1st California Co. F
                      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
                        Does anyone know the status of the hellbender salamander in your region?
                        I inadvertantly pulled a hellbender from the waters of CutCane Creek in Fannin County, Georgia, within the last decade.

Put it back too. Right quick. Mama laughed........
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have a hellbender story for another time and another place. Lets just say I know of one that is alive and healthy and has a palate for young digits.

One fringe topic of this thread is the interest in fossils that was growing in the early 1800's. They can be found in part, along with living flora, fauna and geological topics, in the journals of Ebenezer Emmons, William Bartram, Thomas Jefferson and John Lawson just to name a few.

Report of the North-Carolina Geological Survey. Agriculture of the Eastern Counties; Together with Descriptions of the Fossils of the Marl Beds. by Ebenezer Emmons, 1799-1863

Travels Through North & South Carolina, Georgia, East & West Florida, the Cherokee Country, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges, or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws; Containing An Account of the Soil and Natural Productions of Those Regions, Together with Observations on the Manners of the Indians. Embellished with Copper-Plates. By William Bartram, 1739-1823

A New Voyage to Carolina; Containing the Exact Description and Natural History of That Country: Together with the Present State Thereof. And a Journal of a Thousand Miles, Travel'd Thro' Several Nations of Indians. Giving a Particular Account of Their Customs, Manners, &c. by John Lawson, 1674-1711
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Bachman's Warbler was indigenous to the swamplands of the South Carolina lowcountry. Hasn't been a reliable sighting in nearly a century.
                            Last edited by Malingerer; 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM.
                            Peter Julius
                            North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

While the discussion of about the species east of the Mississippi, a good source for information about various species found in the areas to the west is the Corps. of Discovery's journals, kept by Lewis and Clark. You will see that many of the species were sent back to President Jefferson as both living and preserved specimens.

Here in Missouri we have seen an increasing number of sightings of black bears, and panthers. In some areas of the southern part of the state black bears are now a nuisance for home owners and farmers. We have had sightings and observations of wandering individual elk and moose. It is believed that the elk and moose were just wandering animals following river systems in search of suitable habitat and territory.

There has been some talk of the DoC and the NPS/USFS introducing elk back into the southern part of the state in the Scenic River Trailways system and into the national forests located nearby. The biggest problem is private holdings scattered throughout the area which might be adversely affected by large, free roaming animals.

On a side note, I am planning on getting a shipping container and gathering up all of the armadillos that have migrated to Missouri from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisanna and send them back down south. Unfortunately, global warming has convinced these micro excavators to move North! Now, who wants to accept delivery when the container is full?

Comment

It has been very interesting reading all of this.
                                Being from Kentucky, the state was famous for its hunting, including bears and elk. By the end of the 19th century, bears and elk were hard to find around the state. Not until five or six years ago, Kentucky Wildlife groups help brought these creatures back. Now bears are being spotted in western Kentucky as well as southeastern Kentucky and elk are now in season during cetain times of the year scattered throughout the state.
                                Just my two cents.:)
                                Micah Trent
                                Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                                Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Working...
                                X