Sam Watkins Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sam Watkins Coat

Here are some more photos of the 1st.While they are not Company H,they are some interesting photos none-the-less.Several are of Company D (Williamson Grays),while the only is of Company A (Rock City Guards). As Pat points out,these are 1861/1862 photos.With the George Nichols photo,though,it was taken in Oct. of 1862.But we can,again,see a large "D" on his cap,as well as something else,which I can not identify.It is also interesting to point out the fact that his jacket seems to have a low collar.Maybe ment for a cravat?Maybe simply because it was a style he liked?We can also see the low opening at the collar on Sam's frock as well.Maybe it was ment for the whole 1st to wear cravats,as we see Sam doing in his photo.

What is really interesting are the battleshirts worn by Capt. J. Hanner and Prvt. J. March.The March shirt appears to be a simple shirt of what might be of an undershirt pattern.There is just something of his battleshirt that appears not to be ment for warfare,whereas Hanner's shirt does have a look that it was made for a type of uniform.We can clearly see the pockets.Yet we can also see that the buttons on the front seem to go to his waist,and are going into his trousers.It seems like his shirt was made out of wool.Whether it is pure wool or wool flannel,it is hard to tell.But it is clear that the material for his shirt is of somewhat higher quality then of March's shirt.Yet it is hard to see the shirt in better detail in the March photo.
    Cullen
    Attached Files
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Playing around with the image in photoshop. Notice what appears to be a button on the
      collar that matches the size of the buttons on the sleeve (outlined in red). Also the outlined
      blue area appears to be a cravat or scarf ?

This image reverses the light/dark areas.

Button details ? Zooming in and playing with colors. This is about the best I could do for any detail. Maybe I have looked at too many " I " buttons in my years. The picture is of real dug buttons in my collection. Cast I, Block I, and Stipled I. The second button down on his coat is about the only that comes up with any visible detail. I can see a dark vert. line that looks a lot like the stipled I button in my collection and may also be the reason they appear larger than normal...just my 2 cents...

Last edited by 65thgainf; 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM.
      Jerry Holmes
      28th GA. Inf
      65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Cullen, the seated fella with the cap on appears to be wearing a broad checkered pattern trousers. I'd like to see what the color scheme was on those!
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861 View Post
          This is something Pat Lewis and I have talked about.If you notice in several early war photos of the 1st,it appears that they all seem to be wearing similar headgear.What we are thinking is that the 1st was using civie headgear to try and immulate dress hats.
          Hope these pictures can help you some.
          Be very careful with the image to the far right on your screen. I have never seen it firmly identified to any specific individual or unit, Northern or Southern. Indeed, various publications have claimed the man shown in the image served on BOTH sides! This image came out of the Bettman Archive, but I've never been able to find more information about it or where the original image is now held.

Furthermore, comparison of the uniform details in the image with known "specs" for early-war Northern uniforms (those of Indiana, for one) indicate the soldier seen in the photo could have easily served in a Western Federal unit raised during the first months of the war. For example, compare the above image with these specs:

ARMY CONTRACTS.

QUARTERMASTER GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT,
          Indianapolis, Ind., June 16, 1861.

PROPOSALS will be received by the Quartermaster General, at his office in Indianapolis, until the twenty-fifth day of June, inst., 6 o'clock P. M., to furnish the State of Indiana with FIVE THOUSAND SUITS UNIFORM, consisting of Jacket and Pants, to be made of the best quality Blue or Grey Satinett, or all-wool cloth, trimmed with Black Cloth on the collar and cuff [which will have two buttons on it], with shoulder straps, and stripe down the leg.

2,500 Pairs Army Blankets, 6 to 8 pounds;
          10,000 Blue [or?] Gray Flannel Shirts;
          10,000 Pairs Brown Drill Drawers;
          10,000 " Home-made Wool Socks;
          5,000 " Army half double-soled Shoes, strung with
          leather strings, and pegs to be cut out;
          5,000 Army hats or Caps;
          5,000 Tin Canteens, covered, strung and corked;
          5,000 Knapsack straps--(sample in office.)
          5,000 Infantry Accoutrements--(Government pattern.)

Samples of goods to accompany proposals.
          All of the above articles to be completed, and delivered to the Quartermaster General, at his office in Indianapolis, free of all charges for drayage, packing and freight, by the 15th day of July, proximo.

je18dtd J. H. VAJEN, Quartermaster Gen.

I don't know how easy it might be to nail down the ID for the above image. Seems that none other than Bill Gates has moved all 17 million images in the archive to a "secret underground lair." I did find a website dealing with the Bettman Archive, but the search engine didn't bring up anything, which is patently BS. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Getty Images Deutschland. Finden Sie hochauflösende lizenzfreie Bilder, Bilder zur redaktionellen Verwendung, Vektorgrafiken, Videoclips und Musik zur Lizenzierung in der umfangreichsten Fotobibliothek online.

Good luck,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
          X