Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartridge Boxes

Greetings all-

After a short break from CW reenacting I am looking to jump back into the hobby. I am switching sides and will be mostly portraying an early to mid-war ANV soldier, but want to have the ability to expand that impression effectively and without causing my wife to divorce me!

My question is regarding cartridge boxes in the ANV. I have been looking for threads on what most of the guys in the ANV carried but without any luck. Maybe I'm just not using the "search" method correctly. I see that Duvall offers a variety of .58 cal CS issue boxes. I am stuck between the leather tool pouch and the painted canvas tool pouch. Of course that new box looks tempting as well. Can anyone shed some light on when/ where these were issued or if this discussion has already taken place? I carry a 61 Springfield (feel free to comment on that as well).

Thanks for your help.

Nathan Albert
    Nathan Albert
    Member CWPT, SMH
    Covenant Lodge #473 F&AM
    Shocker Mess!

Re: Cartridge Boxes

No apology necessary for carrying a 61 Springfield unless your impression is supposed to be the 1st Bull Run!?!
    Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the box with the painted cloth tool pouch is a copy of a box found on the Hankey Farm in Gettysburg, giving it a definite mid-war date. My vote goes for a Confederate copy of a '57 box for versatility.
      Mark Hoffman
      Hoecake Mess

Comment

Originally posted by columbianate View Post
        I see that Duvall offers a variety of .58 cal CS issue boxes. I am stuck between the leather tool pouch and the painted canvas tool pouch. Of course that new box looks tempting as well. Can anyone shed some light on when/ where these were issued or if this discussion has already taken place?
        Why not contact the maker you have been looking at and ask them. A quality vendor will be able to help and answer such questions.
        John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Comrade,

For what it's worth, if you are portraying an early to mid-war confederate from the ANV, I would strongly suggest you consider an M1842 or M1816 conversion rather than a M1861.

Just sayin'.......
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Nathan
            I would suggest a M1855 or M1839 box 58, 69, 0r 54 cal . I know out west here they were still on invantory at the various armorys. Knowing the supply system of the US Govt today it would not be out of the norm to have antibellum accoutraments still in armorys through out the south. I'm sure the Govt hasn't changed much.
            Secondly if you want to expand your impression to early or mid war US it would be easy to do so.
            Just my 2 cents$$
            Andy Miller
            1st CAL Cav
            [U]Andy Miller[/U]
            1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
            [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Nathan

CS/ANV cartridge boxes varied throughout the war. If you are researching this particular item I would look at the industry that cranked out this particular item esp. in Richmond, MS, LA, and GA. There were many companies that produced cartridge boxes for troops serving in the ANV/CS armies. Some companies of interest may be: M.H. Richmond & Sons, G.H. Wymans (GA), Richmond Arsenal and for early war Horter, Magee & George.
              Hope this helps in what your lookin for.
              Sinc
              Ryan Regan
              Ryan J. Regan

Comment

Mr. Miller makes a good point. In the antebellum period, the state armories were very often the "beneficiaries" of federal hand-me-downs. Judging from arms inventories I have seen from the start of the war, even many federal arsenals still had on hand a lot of "second class" (and worse) stuff laying around. Purely for emergency use, mind...but then a massive civil war would probably qualify on that score. When a federal arsenal like Benecia has in inventory a large number of percussion-converted M1816 smoothbores in 1861 (with which a couple of California infantry regiments were initially blessed), you just know Uncle Sam was quite the "pack rat" back then.
                Last edited by Dan Munson; 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM. Reason: Added a thought
                Dan Munson
                Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
                5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. It helped a lot. I certainly have some decisions to make. Maybe I can just convince the wife to let me buy one of everything
                  Then again she would probably just sell them in the divorce that's sure to follow!
                  Thanks again guys!
                  Nathan Albert
                  Member CWPT, SMH
                  Covenant Lodge #473 F&AM
                  Shocker Mess!

Comment

Working...
                  X