Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War ammunition

Hi,

I have looked through a couple of search engines, and I can not seem to find printable cartridge lables for either Federal or Confederate. Do any of you know were to get some good reproductions of these.

Andrew Kasmar
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Civil War ammunition

Andrew,
    You may want to refine your request some by giving the time, theater, etc. that you are portraying since there is no once size fits all label for cartridge packaging.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Hi,

I would prefer these lables to be from Trans-Mississsippi area and Federal Army of the Cumberland and Confederate Army of Tennessee.

Andrew Kasmar
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hello,

This is an issue that I have attempted to overcome a couple of times. Most sutlers use a label that is estimated to be like an original but based on no documentation. Currently I am using Photoshop to reproduce an accurate rendition of the label used by the Macon Arsenal. Here are some examples of labels.

[IMG]www.sullivanpress.com/ CartridgeLabels.html[/IMG]

Best of Luck I will post the labels once I have a chance to finish reproducing them
        David Norton

Comment

Hi,

Thank You.

Andrew Kasmar
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

This issue has been discussed on this board. One point to keep in mind is that there are many instances where NO labels were used. Think about it for a moment.

Catridges are shipped in cases marked by the arsenal with source, type and number of rounds. Thus, there is no need to label individual bundles. After the middle of 1863, at least in the AOP, wogons carrying ammunition in the reserve trains were marked with a colored stripe on the canvas cover to debote for which branch ammunition was carried, IE: blue for infantry, red for artillery, etc.

Ammunition was issued directly from marked boxes, so agin, there is no need to label the rounds. I also find it telling that in the Ordnance Manual (my edition is 1862), despite detailed instructions on the manufacturing of ammunition, step by step from components to round to bundle to packing case, no mention is made of labels for bundles of cartridges.

Were there labeled bundles? Of course there were. However, like uniforms, they were not sent necesarily from the nearest arsenal. They came from wherever they were most easily drawn, without depleting the stores at one location. CS ammunition in the TM department could just as easily have been made in Europe, of Richmond, as in Tyler Texas, etc.

respects,
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

Andrew,

This book may be helpful , Roundball to Rimfire by Dean S. Thomas , there are various photos of original cartridge packaging.

Bob Hutton
              Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Hallo!

Unfortunately, many of the SEARCH referenced archived links to arsenal cartridge bundle labels and stamps died in the last Crash.

There a few, such as the Monster Thread:

In brief and to over-generalize...

Cartridge producing Federal arsenals were slated to go with new bundle labels just before the War, but that was dropped except for reasons unknown at the St. Louis Arsenal who continued to use labels (and a brief stint at Allegheny Arsenal).

With the exception of St. Louis, most repro Federal labels are the poison fruit of a poison tree from the 1980's when some vendors sought to supply a demand for Federal labels and reworked/xeroxed preWar labels giving them bogus CW years.

Confederate labels are "more common," often being inked stampings and sometimes glued on paper labels. (Imported Enfield cartridge bundles also bieng stamped).

But as already shared, when the Federal packing box is labelled, why bother with the individual bundles inside? :)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you again for all of the information.

Andrew Kasmar
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew
                    sent you a PM
                    Jake Nott
                    4th VA CO A
                    Anchor Lodge #283
                    Valley of Columbus 32°

Comment

Andrew:

I'd doubt you would find known Confederate Trans Mississippi AP Labels...as far as the AoT theater of operations, there are several, as well as some Richmond Arsenal labels for ANV.

Most of what I have found for .577-.58 cal stuff for AoT is for Enfield style ammo, with some .69 Buckshot, and Round Ball labels.

Email me at Kdallyrm@aol.com, and I’ll be able to share with you what I have made based on actual photo’s of AP’s

Kevin Dally
                      Kevin Dally

Comment

Andrew:
                        I would suggest that you take a look at "Percussion Ammunition Packets Union, Confederate & European, 1845 - 1888" by Malloy, Thomas and White. Published by Thomas Publications of Gettysburg.
                        ISBN - 1- 57747 - 093 - 1.
                        I purchased this book at the Gettysburg Visitor's center bookshop.
                        The coverage is quite good with an emphasis in the first part on combustable cartridges and an extensive look by arsenal and manufacturer.
                        At the risk of generalising, there seems to be a predominance of printed (stamped) packages as opposed to labels for Union, Confederate and European makers.
                        Just a thought.
                        Others packaging may vary.

Erik Simundson
                        Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
                        X