Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private purchase Federal sack coat lining inquiry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private purchase Federal sack coat lining inquiry...

Has anyone ever come across this exampled style of quilted lining while researching private purchase Federal sack coats?
    Attached Files

Re: Private purchase Federal sack coat lining inquiry...

Hi,

I was looking under Wambaugh and White Company, and under custom work they have a officers private purchase sack coat with a quilting linning. I could not find a quilted linning private purchase sack coat in Echoes of Glory. So you might want to e-mail them about that sack coat.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

Please note that while I am knowledgeable of quilted lined Federal sack coats, it is this particular type of pattern pictured that I am unfamiliar with.

If Dan's e-mail was back up, I'd consult with him in a heartbeat.

I thank you, Andrew, for the lead.

Maybe Dan will check the forum today (though I'm sure his PM in-box is already at full tilt).

Comment

I have examined a Confederate officer's frock that was quilted in the exact same chevron-shaped manner, coming to a point at the back seam (the sleeves were padded and quilted too). Not exactly an answer to your question about private purchase sack coats, but at least you know that the particular quilting pattern in your coat was used then.

-Craig Schneider
        Last edited by CSchneider; 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM.
        Craig Schneider

Comment

Just throw in more doubt about Federal sack coats, in the book "Fort Lyon to Harper's Ferry: On the Border of North and South with Rambling Jour, a Civil War Soldier" by Charles Moulton, he writes for his mother to make him a sack coat, as she could make one cheaper than he could purchase one. He had his issue Frock, but did not want ink to get on the sleeves while he was serving as a clerk. Later he write that he recieved the coat from his mother.

So, with that said, their can be some variation, especially with private purchase items, but it is always best to have a surviving original to base your version on.
          [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by CSchneider View Post
            I have examined a Confederate officers' frock that was quilted in the exact same chevron-shaped manner, coming to a point at the back seam (the sleeves were padded and quilted too). Not exactly an answer to your question about private purchase sack coats, but at least you know that the particular quilting pattern in your coat was used then.
            That's exactly the type of identification I was looking for...thanks, Craig.

Comment

Gents,

The very nature of any private purchase garment is that as long as it loosely conforms to regulations on the outside, the tailor's or seamstress' personal tastes, preferences, and artistic flair can often be seen in many different aspects inside and out.

When talking about quilting patterns I often like to reference a USSS officer's frock coat in the Smithsonian collection where the chest padding has been designed so that the pocket in the middle looks like a sun rising on a horizon. This is achieved through the use of horizontal lines below, and "rays" emanating from the pocket above. Truly a neat effect.

It looks like Craig has been able to specifically reference that type of quilting, which is excellent. All I can add to that is a very loose interpretation can be taken with the custom features on private purchase items. Of the two dozen officer's coats I've had a chance to examine, every one had a distinct style that reflected the tailor himself.

Best Regards,
              Dan Wambaugh
              Wambaugh, White, & Company
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609
              Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan,

The same thing holds true for modern military private purchase items. When I was in the Navy, I ditched the issue dress blues & whites and went to a local military tailor and had mine custom made. Surprisingly, this service was offered through the Sears Men's Shop, and they offered dress uniforms and tailoring for all branches of the services.

My uniforms were of better material and fit better than the issue ones. The Navy didn't have any problems with it either, as their attitude was that as long as it matched or beat the design specifications and conformed to the uniform requirements, that was okay by them.

respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                X