Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th MO Inf Battle Flag info being sought

Pards,
    As some of you might be aware the MO Dept. of Natural Resources maintains a museum of artificats/displays related to the history of the state of Missouri in the Missouri state capitol, Jefferson City MO. (It is free and open to the public during normal business hours.) One of the items in thier collection is the 6th MO Inf Battle Flag. It is the standard Confederate Battle Flag with battle honors stenciled onto it. If my memory serves me correctly it was captured in Mobile, at the end of the war.
    Many years ago I helped in forming a re enacting group representing the 6th MO Inf, and during the research I discovered that the unit fought under a different unit flag through Vicksburg. At Vicksburg the unit's first commanding officer, Col. Eugene Irwin (Erwin?) was killed and the unit flag was given to his widow. She then returned to her home in Lexington (MO or KY?) where she lived for many years, remarried and later past away.
    I am, once again, trying to find out whether she returned to her marital home with Col. Irwin, or if she returned to thier childhood home in Kentucky, and if the flag she recieved is still in existence, and where.
    If you have any information relating to this flag, please post anything might have or send me a PM.
    Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Kevin Baker; aka, mobluegraysoldier

Re: 6th MO Inf Battle Flag info being sought

At the time Vicksburg surrendered, I believe that most, if not all, of the Missouri units were carrying the Missouri battle flag - blue field, red trim, white cross in the corner.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Re: 6th MO Inf Battle Flag info being sought

Is that the 2nd/6th flag. Wasn't the nabbed at Franklin?

John Pillers
      TSM
      John Pillers
      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
      X