Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arms captured at Thompson's Station?

OK guys,

I've been researching the 2nd (aka 4th) Mississippi Cavalry over the past few weeks at the request of my girlfriend, her GGG-Grandfather served in the unit from '62 till the end of the war. Her family is really interested in what kinds of stuff he was equipped with and what kinds of duties he would have had. In the course of my research, I've found a diary from a member of the 2nd stating that they captured large number of arms at Thompson's Station TN, March 5th '63, (and again a few weeks later at Brentwood TN) and it noted that many of the C.S. troopers exchanged weapons on the spot. Even in the O.R.'s it notes that when ordered to place the captured arms in wagons to be turned over to ordnance officers, the troops simply placed their old "inferior guns, muskets, shotguns& ect." into the wagons instead and kept the new guns.

Now, I've been looking for awhile and still haven't found what exactly was captured there from Coburn's Federal Brigade of the 19th Mich, 22nd Wis, 33rd and 85th Ind. I'm guessing Springfield and Enfield Rilfe-Muskets, but I'm not discounting something a little more exotic....anybody have any more info than me?

Thanks,
    Will MacDonald

Re: Arms captured at Thompson's Station?

Hello Will,

FWIW, Frederick Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872, Vol. II, lists the following weapons for the four regiments in question:

33rd Indiana - 1862-1865: Enfield rifle
    85th Indiana - 1862: Belgian or Vincennes rifles with saber bayonets; 1863-1864: Enfield rifle
    19th Michigan - 1862: Austrian rifled muskets, cal .54 or .55; 1863-1864: Springfield rifled muskets
    22nd Wisconsin - Enfield rifle

The question that still remains is when in 1863 were the 85th Ind and 19th Mich issued their new weapons.

Ryan Toews

Comment

Working...
    X