Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mending Civilian Headgear

A question for all-
    I have a Tim Bender "Bee Hive" slouch hat that I have owned for years. It got thrown in a pile of stuff and stowed away for about two years and when I retrieved it to start getting my kits back together to return to the hobby, there was a massive hole that had rotted out.
    Obviously, I can not simply discard this hat after its years of campaigne. Has anyone heard of or seen mending jobs on wool felt hats? If not, would one simply cut out the rot and claim to have received a "close call" on the battlefield? I have attached a photo below. Thoughts?

V/R
    Brandon Jolly
    Attached Files
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Mending Civilian Headgear

There was a recent discussion on this topic.One of the things we said was to simply leave it.It will give it a very good campaigned look.Too many of us walk around wearing slouch hats that are "too nice".Just wear it as it is simply because it does make it a more beleivable campaign look to it.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Brandon,

Depending on the size, if you get the notion to sell it, let me know!
      Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
      Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
      Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
      The Tater Mess
      The Widow's Son Mess
      WIG's
      [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

I wouldn't do a thing. That hat is looking good, war-worn with character.

A. Redd
        Andy Redd

Comment

I agree with the rest of these individuals it looks great, may not keep your head dry anymore, but its definitely a great campaign hat.
          Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
          James A. Peifer
          Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Keep it the way it is, it's a good visual of a well worn, well used, lived in campaigning hat.
            Last edited by western reb; 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM. Reason: change of words
            [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

If you look in Echoes Of Glory page 169 SGT. T.J. Duckett's hat has a bullet hole and has a hand-lettered sign to show-off his close call. I think soldiers were pround of their " Battlescars".
              Chad Wrinn

Comment

Hi,

Agree with the other guys keep the hat how it is, it looks well used in campaigns or the battle scares idea is cool.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Brandon,

I rememeber seeing you wear this hat....... Awesome hat indeed.

I would say go without fixing it......... However, if the hole is too massive, then you might make it worse out in the field.

Good luck,
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                  Cincinnati

Comment

Thanks for the feed back fellas. I was afraid it may keep deteriorating, but for the last year or so it hasn't gotten any worse. Schwieterman, I'll probably see ya again soo.

Thanks!
                    V/R
                    Brandon Jolly
                    V/R
                    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

That hat will be the perfect hat. Let it rot off your head. Or you could give it to me so it can rot my head.

Seriously, wear it. It looks great.

Steve Acker

Comment

I have an idea, put a ramrod through it and go as Steve Martin's G-G-Grandfather ...???
                        [CENTER][B][I]Jim Shillinglaw CSMC &
                        Liberty Hall Drum and Fife[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

The hat looks pretty good for a campaign hat, but the mildew/mold has got to go. I'm assuming that THAT is what the white and blueish colored stuff around the hole is . . . When is the last time you saw that much mold growing in the bright sunlight that would occur on a soldiers head?
                          Bill Kane
                          Tar Heel Mess
                          [url]http://www.tarheelmess.org[/url]

Comment

A good way to kill the mold/mildew is wit equal parts of water and vinegar. Lightly moisten the affected area with said mixture and allow to air dry in a dry area or outside on a clear day. Awesome hat, Brandon!
                            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                            WIG/GVB
                            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
                            X