Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Depot Jackets

Hi,

I have been going through several patterns and kits, and I can not seem to get a clear answer. Should shoulder straps have a button hole or should they be sewn to the jacket along with the button, making them non-functional. I know some commutation jackets have button holes, but I am not sure if Richmond Depots shell jackets type 1 and 2 have button holes.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Richmond Depot Jackets

This might help.

Brian DesRochers
    Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
    Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
    Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

Andrew Kasmar
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

Some soldiers would cut off the epaulettes... check out this photo.

Cheers,
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guy Gane III; 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM. Reason: wrong pics...
        Guy W. Gane III
        Casting Director/Owner
        Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
        49th NYVI Co. B
        The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Guy,

Cool pics...do you mind sharing where this coat is on display?

Note: Per Les Jenson's classification of Richmond Depot Jackets, this does not appear to purely fit those descriptions.

Evidence of Colar Trim
          Evidence of Cuff Trim

Am I wrong in thinking this jacket has a "Western-manufactured" feel to it...
          Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM. Reason: Western
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

All that I am willing to say is that it is located in Pennsylvania.

I was told that if I was to show any pictures, to NOT mention where it was from. I wish to honor my promise.

A little day tripping East of Gettysburg may lead you to this wonderful collection. Happy hunting... :wink_smil

Cheers,
            Guy W. Gane III
            Casting Director/Owner
            Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
            49th NYVI Co. B
            The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Do any of you know why a soldier might cut off his shoulder straps?

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

Although I cannot see the back or sides for a better indication of pattern pieces, IMHO, it would seem to me to fall under the Jensen RDII typology.

It may sound odd, but I have wondered about soldiers removing the shoulder tabs or "straps" from their jackets. Not that we do not have several surviving specimens where it had been done, but rather...

Yes, it can be a pain to have to button and unbutton the tab to pass belts under. But on a jacket where the tabs are not functional, the belt or belts go OVER the strap.
                Jensen asserts that the one of the reasons that the RDIII omitted shoulder and belt straps was because of the practice of cutting them off RDII's.
                However, it may be possible that since the production of RDII and RDIII jackets overlapped, that what we are lookng at is possibly a stylistic change to save material and labor in deleting the straps- and RD II's already made with straps were modified to appear more "uniform" with the RDIII issuance's?
                (Although, some of the RDII's with removed shoulder straps stil have their belt straps in tact...)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi Andrew! I purchased a Richmond Depot Jacket a few years ago from Servants in Gettysburg, Pa. The epaulettes have a small hole cut in the end were a button would go, just large enough for the eye on the back of the button to go through so you can sew the button on. I thought it was weird that the epaulettes were non functional, but i am satisfied with the product. Hope this helps some.
                  F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

as to removing the eppauletts...
                    Attached Files
                    Tyler Gibson
                    The Independent Rifles

Comment

I believe the torn sholder straps on the Ft. Mahone photo above (artilleryman?)were from souvenir hunters cutting the straps vs. being done by the wearer. Look closely and you will see this.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

The jacket with the epaulet removed is a P-Tait. This photo was discussed in great detail on the forum some time ago. If I remember correctly all the jacket buttons have also been removed. These high quality buttons were presumably cut off by souvenir seeking Union Soldiers. Based on the location and circumstances under which the picture was taken, I would not assume the epaulet was removed by the wearer but by the same Yankees that cut off the buttons.

Is the other picture also on the LOC web? I would like to take a look at the vest buttons.
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I have inspected one nice RD Type II (BGK) that had epps, but no button holes. They were tacked down to the coat-

Joe Walker

Comment

Hi,

Thanks again for all the good information.

Andrew Kasmar
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Gane III View Post
                              All that I am willing to say is that it is located in Pennsylvania.

I was told that if I was to show any pictures, to NOT mention where it was from. I wish to honor my promise.

A little day tripping East of Gettysburg may lead you to this wonderful collection. Happy hunting... :wink_smil

Cheers,
                              I have seen this jacket as well Guy. However, most historians and collectors who've look at it are suspect of it's provenance. Unless the owner can provide us with a clear history behind this jacket, I would recommend to the AC forums that we not use it as an example of a Civil War era garment.
                              [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X