Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richmond Depot Jackets

To reply to Andrew's question regarding the removal of shoulder straps-

The average CW-era soldier was like soldiers of every other era and epoch: he was interested in function over form. While shoulder straps look dandy, they serve no great purpose. And if you've ever had one of the shoulder strap buttons, whether it's associated with a functional or non-functional buttonhole, auger into your shoulder beneath a cartridge box, canteen, or haversack strap or a pair of knapsack straps, you'd be pretty fast in hacking those things off. Envisioning 25-mile marches with a pair of brass buttons mashed into your upper shoulder seems like good enough reason to me.

A recent thread on cartridge box straps showed some other good "field-altered" methods for uniforms/equipment. I'm thinking of the cartridge boxes with slits cut in the leather to allow belts that weren't originally intended to be worn with the box.

My two cents.
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I had discussed this with the owner and they mentioned such a case, as someone wanted to further study it.

If it isn't a OG CW jacket, what could it be? I'm interested. :D
      Guy W. Gane III
      Casting Director/Owner
      Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
      49th NYVI Co. B
      The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Guy,

Perhaps a reproduction from the Centennial years? Maybe a later reproduction even? There is a museum in Kentucky that has many garments on display, perhaps too many, that are "from the war." I haven't literally had my hands on those garments to study but at a glance many seem suspect. No doubt that some are the real thing but those that are (in my opinion) lack solid research or provenance.
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Andrew,

I guess you could look at the simple fact that soldiers would lose buttons on the front of there jacket and need a replacement. Once you take that button from the shoulder strap, it just flops around. Cut it off and it don't flop around anymore. Just a guess at a quick fix to keep a draft out in the cold.

Don Woods
          Don Woods
          Member ABT

Comment

Don,
            Your theory is very possible, but one thing. Didn't some jackets have cuff buttons on the epaulettes? I'm not entirely sure but my repro does. It would seem that a cuff button would be to small to work for a jacket from but I guess if you were desperate it might work. Any thoughts anyone?
            Last edited by 27thNCdrummer; 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM.
            Andrew Turner
            Co.D 27th NCT
            Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

I had asked if the coat was for sale and they said they had an interested buyer with first-option. I can see the likeliness of it being a fake, but it just looked so good. :o

I just wish I would have had the chance to open the glass and get better pics... :confused_
              Guy W. Gane III
              Casting Director/Owner
              Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
              49th NYVI Co. B
              The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X