This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Cloth Union forage cap

I was ready the old EOG and have always noticed the variety of uniforms and units and different clothes worn but the union. I know we are unit non specific but should we consider that there were other impression or just other gear that was used but Union troops. One example is the Jean Cloth forage cap, does anyone have one or does someone made one. The one in EOG says they were made throughout the war and the specific one is from 1864. I just get bored with the forage cap, sack coat, blah union outfit. It is the main reason I do confederate, I like the difference in clothing. I know that there are allot of different clothes for the Union army but after looking at the picks of real Union troops that were posted recently I was amazed how different they looked. Is it that we do not do enough to have that "look". So what says you? What can be done to make Union troops look less like automatons and more like individual men.
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: Jean Cloth Union forage cap

I presume you are talking about eastern Federal, since western Federals most often wore broad brimmed hats, a mixture of Hardees in various conditions and civilian hats.

By looking at pictures of eastern troops there were at least a few guys in most group pictures wearing some sort of civilian hat.

In photos of eastern and western soldiers, often enough guys have frock coats or short jackets, which could be state issue, cut off frock coats, or SA jackets, depending on where the troops are from and the time period. The sack coat is simply the most inexpensive and generic option for all times and places.

Then there were also various ways of carrying belongings, which have been discussed her frequently: knapsack, bedroll, "hobo" roll, etc.

Federals often appear to have expressed individuality, but others here have pointed out that to stand out too much is to possibly invite more bullets your direction.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Alleman View Post

So what says you? What can be done to make Union troops look less like automatons and more like individual men.
      Maybe portray a civilian instead of a soldier...???

Not robbing from individuality...but plenty of ways exists to be an individual (homespun shirt, socks, civ. blanket, braces, trouser-belt...pocket watch...bible...etc.)

I think sometimes as "campaigners" we over-achieve the dishevled look of individuality both Federal and Confederate.
      Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I think it is all specific to one's unit portrayal, time, and theater of the war. Union men can look almost as different as their Confederate counterparts in certain areas. Just look at any of the posed images of men on Lookout Mountain. Unless you are doing an Army of the Potomac 61-63, where things were a little more in order and regimented (generally, although there are exceptions when delved into deep enough), you can vary alot of things with a federal impression. The jeancloth forage cap you refer to for instance, was issued by the state of Maine for a certain portion of the war, and that included jeancloth greatcoats as well. Headgear is another of those items that are highly individual, and there are countless images out there as well to show a plethera of chapeaus. That also goes for how one carries his load, be that in a knapsack, a blanket roll, a short roll, etc.
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

The "quick" answer is that we often lack enough information to make "definitive" judgements. For one thing, photographs are limited means for making these decisions. Did the photographer capture troops on the march or at rest in bivuoac? Were the men in the photo typical of the unit, or did he happen to catch a few cut-ups in their non-standard gear?

I agree that as campaigners, we have achieved our own form of orthodoxy, and like other forms, ours is subject to error. My favorite example is the rule "no vests in the ranks" at many CPH events in the past. Most evidence points to vests as being widespread among the grunts, both as a fashion statement and as warmth. Besides, what you wear UNDER your uniform is not usually subject to inspection.

Sadly tens or even hundreds of thousands of wet plate images were bleached clean to be used in greenhouses after the war, and so our knowledge of units can't be just from the photographic record, but must include research into issue lists, letters home, and newspaper accounts.

All that having been said, I usually aspire to Curt Schmidt's notion of PEC: plain, everyday, common.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

There are many pics, even some posted here recently, that show soldiers wearing a variety of different items and -the key here, in my opinion- wearing the same ole stuff differently.

-Frock collars turned down.
            -Frock collars turned over like lapels on a civilian coat.
            -Sack coats tucked into trousers.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

My favorite Federal look is a slouch or Hardee hat, 11 button jacket, trousers tucked into infantry boots, wearing accouterments including pack with blanket roll.

An awesome, common look, but you could go to dozens of events and not find someone that fits the description.

Mike Willey
              late of the 49th Ohio and Coffee-coolers

Comment

Originally posted by hiplainsyank View Post
                I presume you are talking about eastern Federal, since western Federals most often wore broad brimmed hats, a mixture of Hardees in various conditions and civilian hats.

Then there were also various ways of carrying belongings, which have been discussed her frequently: knapsack, bedroll, "hobo" roll, etc

That's a pretty broad statement about Western Federals.

I think we should also use the term "short" roll instead of "hobo" roll for our time period.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                Cincinnati

Comment

Hi,

I go with a civilian slouch hat, knapsack and blanket roll, trousers rolled up, civilian shirt, and civilian blanket, sack coat with the sleeves rolled up a few inches, and some times a cravat. This makes for a very interesting look that is still authentic.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by hiplainsyank View Post

Joanna, Please back up this very broad statement with hard data of some sort.

A few more suggestions that haven’t been mentioned:

Corps Badges. All sorts existed. Companies produced all sorts of different types, and many examples of personalized badges still exist. Some were hand made, and of course there is always the issue felt badge. From there, how and where you wear it can add a slight bit to your indivudalism.

If you are portraying a veteran volunteer, the veteran service stripe might be appropriate for you.

“Private purchased” uniforms and gear. While they are similar to issued uniforms and gear, there are countless images of Union soldiers wearing private purchase sack and frock coats, etc.
                    Dane Utter
                    Washington Guard

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                      Hi,

I go with a civilian slouch hat, knapsack and blanket roll, trousers rolled up, civilian shirt, and civilian blanket, sack coat with the sleeves rolled up a few inches, and some times a cravat. This makes for a very interesting look that is still authentic.
                      That may be interesting to you, but a bit odd for me.

Wearing issue/private purchase items is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Authentic Federals, should strive for "issue" items as much as possible, especially when it comes to shirts. (Depending on your impression, hats can be a different story.)
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                      Cincinnati

Comment

Hi,

I am going for a Missouri Federal soldier, or a Army of the Tennessee soldier. I do agree that federal shirts are good for the impression, but I have not bought one yet.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

If your primary concern is being able to wear fancy duds, then I think you are wasting time and money on this side of the hobby. Research and documentation of the correct material culture of a particular unit at a particular time frame is what we should be discussing, not the fact that you are "bored" with a particular look and want to jazz it up because sack coats aren't fancy enough for your tastes. I won't start mentioning frock coats, state jackets, Hardee hats, McDowell caps and numerous other variations of federal dress that a bit of research may turn up.

Bob Firth
                          Awkward Squad mess
                          [B]Bob Firth
                          [I]Awkward Squad Mess[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][U]CR COI: Apr 2010
                          Spangler's Spring LH: 12-13-June 2010
                          Return to Manassas: 27-19 Aug 2010
                          Unison, VA: Oct 2010
                          [/U][/COLOR]

Comment

If your primary concern is being able to wear fancy duds, then I think you are wasting time and money on this side of the hobby. Research and documentation of the correct material culture of a particular unit at a particular time frame is what we should be discussing, not the fact that you are "bored" with a particular look and want to jazz it up because sack coats aren't fancy enough for your tastes. I won't start mentioning frock coats, state jackets, Hardee hats, McDowell caps and numerous other variations of federal dress that a bit of research may turn up.
                            I hereby extend to Bob "Salt Pork" Firth an invitation to jine up with his fellow curmudgeons in the Columbia Rifles.

The Chawls
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Alleman View Post
                              just get bored with the forage cap, sack coat, blah union outfit.
                              What can be done to make Union troops look less like automatons and more like individual men.
                              You do understand that there's a reason it's called a uniform.
                              Robert Carter
                              69th NYSV, Co. A
                              justrobnj@gmail.com
                              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Working...
                              X