Flannel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flannel

Has anyone run across any examples or documents for plaid or checked cotton flannel being used for shirting? I've run through the search but didn't see anything of the sort.
    Heath Potter

South Union Guards
    Star and Crescent Mess
    A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
    Franklin Preservation March
    Backwater 1865

Re: Flannel

Hi,

I have heard of work shirts made out of checked and ticking cotton or wool flannel, but I have never heard of a normal civilian shirt made out of this material. Now this does not mean it does not exist, I have just never heard of that cloth being used for shirting.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Don Troiani's book "Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War" has a picture of a dark colored (looks dark blue to me - could be black) plaid flannel shirt. No mention of whether it is wool or cotton flannel, unfortunately. I don't know any more about it. However, it doesn't look like the readily available stuff at Joann's Fabric Store. So be careful.

Evan O'Dell
      Last edited by TobiasJones; 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hi,

The shirt O'Dell is talking about is made out of a dark blue flannel used by Burnsides men ate Bull Run.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I happen to have right in front of me Time-Life's book "Soldier Life" (sort of a companion to the "Echoes of Glory" set, I guess).

Page 65 shows Col. Owens of 3rd Penn. Cav. on a cot. He's wearing a plaid shirt (his coat is off, so it's plainly visible). Exact material unknown.

Page 88 of the same book shows a group shot of 3rd N.H. enlisted men on Hilton Head Island, S.C. In the center of the group stands a private with a plaid/checked shirt - white background, darker stripes running vertical, lighter stripes horizontal. Again, material unknown.

Sorry, I don't have scanning capability at the moment or I'd share these.
          Dan Munson
          Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
          5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

No, I don't believe O'Dell is talking about the shirt you speak of, Kasmar.

Now that I have gotten to my book, a good close look under quality lighting shows me a black/tan (not blue) plaid flannel shirt belonging to Pvt. Edgar S. Yergason. This shirt is said to be one of several made by Yergason's mother which she sent to her son in active service (22nd Connecticut Volunteers). This is a civilian item not military issue.

Evan O'Dell
            Last edited by TobiasJones; 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The Yergason shirt is made from a tabby weave black and white wool. I haven't seen many other men's shirts from the time made from plain woven woolens but I have seen a few women's day dresses made from identical material.

I've looked high a low for a fabric similar to what Yergason's is made out of but haven't found anything suitable....always wanted one of those in the closet.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Hi,

My post was referring to the over shirt worn by the 1st Rhode Island Infantry at the battle of Bull Run. This shirt was made out of a medium blue flannel. It is on page 97 of EOG Arms and Equipment of the Union, it is also in the book Don Troiani's Civil War Militia and Volunteers on page 21. I thought Mr. O'Dell was refering to a differnt Don Troiani book when I wrote my other post. The shirt Mr. O'Dell was writing about is a very interesting shirt, I also would be interested in having one of these in my closet.
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Kasmar,

I agree, it would be a good shirt to have in the closet. And on that note:

Mr. White,

If you ever manage to get that material (or any other quality plaid for shirting), I would love to buy a Yergason shirt kit from you.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Originally posted by hpotter View Post
                    Has anyone run across any examples or documents for plaid or checked cotton flannel being used for shirting? I've run through the search but didn't see anything of the sort.
                    The only garment I've seen with plaid cotton flannel is the inside of the Diggs jacket (5th VA Cav.).
                    Rich Taddeo
                    Shocker Mess
                    "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Working...
                    X