Chevron Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevron Placement

Having recently been promoted to Corporal of Artillery, I need to sew chevrons on my shell jacket.

What is the correct location for a corporals chevron on the shell jacket sleeve?

lwjiii

Please follow AC Forum rules and sign your name to ALL posts. Thanks. - Patrick Craddock, AC Moderator
    Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM.
    Lynn W. Jones III
    Pvt.
    17th VA Co. D
    Fairfax Rifles

Re: Chevron Placement

On the outside of the sleeve.

Bob Firth
    Awkward Squad Mess
    [B]Bob Firth
    [I]Awkward Squad Mess[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][U]CR COI: Apr 2010
    Spangler's Spring LH: 12-13-June 2010
    Return to Manassas: 27-19 Aug 2010
    Unison, VA: Oct 2010
    [/U][/COLOR]

Comment

ahem

My fav. You may have to dig some:

Oldie but a goodie:

John Pillers
      TSM
      John Pillers
      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

This 52nd IL Sgt.'s jacket was photographed Wednesday by Riley Ewen, Jason Krausz, and myself along with two other gentlemen with tremendous expertise. I am sure they will post more info as soon as they are ready to.

Interestesting note, he removed the backing that the stripes come on and sewed them on (very well) with an indigo blue thread.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MarkTK36thIL; 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due
        Mark Krausz
        William L. Campbell
        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
        Old Northwest Volunteers
        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

uh

Mark,

Details, man, details! Is this the long-awaiting ID'd Illinois jacket!?!? Pockets? Belt loop? Cuffs?
          I think Riley mentioned one a long while back.
          Or PM me please!

John Pillers
          TSM

:cry_smile
          Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM. Reason: more questions
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

The good Sgt.Major of our unit put this together and you may find helpful.
            Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

PM sent John.
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
              Old Northwest Volunteers
              Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Mark and others,

The Spaulding jacket's chevrons likely never had a separate backing piece, and seem to have just been indigo dyed ribbed wool tape sewn directly to the sleeve. When I first saw the jacket on Wednesday I thought that the stripes were sewn into the actual sleeve seam, but that was not the case; they were butted against the seam very well and stitched very, very carefully.

Also interesting is that the bottom stripe on the right sleeve and the top stripe on the left sleeve are cut from the same roll of tape; these pieces being slightly lighter in shade than the other stripes and lozenges.

I'm compiling my notes on this jacket right now but need to compare them to Dan Wambaugh's in case I missed something. The garment is absolutely incredible and a fantastic look at a mass-produced early war jacket. We're working on our photos too but since we weren't allowed to use flash photography they're a bit blurry.
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Re: uh

Originally posted by John of the Skulkers Mess View Post

Mark,

Details, man, details! Is this the long-awaiting ID'd Illinois jacket!?!? Pockets? Belt loop? Cuffs?
                  I think Riley mentioned one a long while back.
                  Or PM me please!

John Pillers
                  TSM

:cry_smile
                  OK,

I'm getting off topic here, but I think I just saw an actual Illinois State Issue jacket there! Many of us have been searching for an example for decades! Inquiring minds want to know more!
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, but yes, it seems to be just that. And it shares some similarities to NY State jackets (SOME, not ALL). More to come at the right time....
                    Brian White
                    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTK36thIL View Post
                      This 52nd IL Sgt.'s jacket was photographed Wednesday by Riley Ewen, Jason Krausz, and myself along with two other gentlemen with tremendous expertise. I am sure they will post more info as soon as they are ready to.

Interestesting note, he removed the backing that the stripes come on and sewed them on (very well) with an indigo blue thread.

The way that these chevrons are sewn on that particular coat are the exact way I had my 1st Sgt stripes placed several years ago. I have seen to many stripes with backing on a many of jackets of reencators. Every so often I come across some without backing. What I have seen with backing, is mostly Federal. I have not seen many Federal without backing It is nice to see the one posted.
                      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

When I have to place chevrons on any of my jackets, I put on the jacket, bend my elbow, and put the bottom tip of the bottom one about an inch below where the crook in my elbow is.
                        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                        WIG/GVB
                        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

May I add a WOW to this thread for revealing a real Illinois jacket. This is akin to seeing a real Yeti, or perhaps the little green man from the Roswell crash.
                          The Illinois jacket has been seen in many images, but not in the flesh, until now, perhaps.
                          Thanks to all for sharing, this is a Rosetta Stone moment!
                          Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by C.R. Henderson View Post
                            When I have to place chevrons on any of my jackets, I put on the jacket, bend my elbow, and put the bottom tip of the bottom one about an inch below where the crook in my elbow is.
                            I've set scores of chevrons for guys doing just this, most of the time they don't even have to put on the jacket.

Put the point at the widest part of the elbow and you'll do fine.
                            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I'll try that next time! ...leave it to a tailor!
                              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                              WIG/GVB
                              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
                              X