Chevron Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chevron Placement

Sorry to take this thread off topic, again, but that jacket Mark posted photos of is too interesting.

Was wondering if maybe Mark and Brian could collaborate and start a new thread so we can discuss more?
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Jim and all,
      Dan, Brian, Riley, and I are working on a project to post the information gathered from the examination of the jacket in its own thread or article. I can assure you that when the time is ready, the information will be detailed and awesome.

Who knows, maybe this will prompt a collector or two to open their doors and allow the examination of IL state jackets that we do not know about still surviving. More or less, this is groundbreaking information for those not familiar with this type(s) of jacket.
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Unfortunately there are 2 ID Illinois jackets in a private collection about 30 miles from me but he's not one to let it be know.
        Brian Baird

Comment

Any info on the units at least?
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

No I've never seen them.
            Brian Baird

Comment

Has anyone by chance?

Otherwise, it's kind of a "he said" deal, and respectivelly, it isn't officially true or untrue.
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Having studied this issue, and discussed it with several of you, I am also very excited to hear more about this jacket. I wore a variant of what we know of the type for many years of field service, and it was always my favorite...

I am intrigued with the color of this example. The Illinois regs specify a jacket of dark blue or gray satinette. Could this be a version of the gray, or was it truly blue?

Inquiring minds want to know...finally.
                Jim Schwass

5th Ky. Inf Co. B., 1st Illinois Artillery, Cheney's Battery F., {Retired}

Comment

It's blue. 100% sure.
                  Mark Krausz
                  William L. Campbell
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark, Yes the jackets have been seen by another collector. Brian Baird

Comment

Originally posted by lwjiii View Post
                      What is the correct location for a corporals chevron on the shell jacket sleeve?
                      Answer to the original question:

Chevron
                      The rank of non-commissioned officers will be marked by chevrons upon both sleeves of the uniform coat and overcoat, above the elbow ...
                      "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                      Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                      http://buffsticks.us

Comment

52nd IVI

Been looking up some stuff on the 52nd, but I'm having trouble figuring out where they were at Shiloh. I know they were diverted 'north' from their brigade. But to where?

Any ideas?
                        John Pillers
                        a Skulker
                        John Pillers
                        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Hello John,
                          If you are asking the position of th 52nd Illinois at Shiloh, I have maps of the positions for the first and second days. Their camp was positioned on the North edge of Chambers Field. The field is less than a mile from Pittsburg Landing and close to where Grant formed his defensive line on the evening of the 6th. Off the cuff, I would assume that they fell back to support that position at the end of the first day. Once again, only an opinion based only on the maps and basic movement on the 7th, I would think they would have moved forward with Sherman in the morning, with Lew Wallace on the right flank; Northeast portion of the field, and moved North-Northeast through Mulberry Field by 8am. Sherman then swung Northwest to meet Cheatham at Jones Field by 10am. The Federals continued the push moving to the West, which would have placed the 52nd on the Northern portion of the Battlefield at the end the day. This is, as mentioned, only an observation based on maps prepared by the Secretary of War, and the basic troop movements and postions recorded through out the battle.

Hope this helps.
                          Your Obedient Servant,
                          Cpl. Skip Korte
                          17th MO. Vol Inf.
                          Company G
                          Western Blues Mess

Comment

Bringing this back to the top with a question.

I had not seen this thread until just now and was absolutely awestruck by the two photos of the Illinois jacket. This has been an obsession with a few of us for a number of years often leading to dead ends and frustration. Now that I've glanced the Holy Grail of the Sucker State, I wanna see more! Has a new thread with more info and detailed photos been posted yet?

Paul McKee
                            Last edited by CompanyWag; 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM.
                            Paul McKee

Comment

Hi Paul,
                              Riley Ewen and Brian White were to be working on something together, possibly for CWH but I haven't heard anything lately.

Brian and Dan have the technical specs and all the info that most reenactors would have never identified on the garment. Stitching, material ounces, etc.

We did not very much success without the flash on our cameras, but we were OKed for future visits. I have a friend in professional photography that I would like to get back to the museum and take detailed photos of.

Try getting in touch with John Pillars (of the Skulkers Mess) also.
                              Mark
                              Mark Krausz
                              William L. Campbell
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

All,

I completely forgot about this thread and the interest it generated in the Spaulding jacket. A few months ago I contacted the museum hoping to get the green-light to publish the images and information but haven't heard back yet.

Looking now at what I wrote about this jacket back in March I cannot believe that I took 42 separate measurements of the thing! Also included are mine and Dan's observations of how the entire jacket was constructed, what materials it was made from, etc. etc.. I really want to get this information out to you guys but I am iffy until I get permission from the museum.

And to get off topic, some of you guys might know of the pre-war knapsack we viewed after seeing the Spaulding jacket. The knapsack was used by an Illinois soldier and hidden between the frame and oilcloth was a crusty yellowish sheet of "mystery stuff" wrapped inside of an 1863 newspaper. The Elgin Historical Society people were kind enough to let me take samples home to my super-scientist little brother to analyze at his lab. As it turned out, the mystery sample was......

CARRAGEEN!!! I'm baffled as to what a soldier would have used carrageen for but if any of you guys have any suggestions I would love to find out. Charles Heath I'm looking in your direction! Maybe thickener for soup?

I'll try the museum authorities again tomorrow and hopefully we'll be able to get the Spaulding jacket info out on the forum soon.
                                Last edited by GreencoatCross; 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM. Reason: Transmogrified an "n" to a "t."
                                Brian White
                                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                                X