1861 Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Springfield

Hello I have turned over a new leaf in my Reenacting and have made the leap into the Authentic Reenactor version leaving my mainstream Friends behind my question is as follows..

I have an 1861 Springfield repro that is not defarbed i would love to have the whole thing defarbed and cleaned up to look right, i am not the greatest mechanically so i will not attempt to do this my self. i had a 1853 enfield for a couple of months but i didnt like it and deep sixed it I have other problems with my 61 such as Bayonet rattles on the move loose fit i guess, and my barrel bands are a little weak. i would love to live fire my 61 but am sure if its safe to do so in its current condition. if any one has any ideas please let me know thanks.

Sascha A McKnight

"Have no mercy GIVE THEM COLD STEEL"
    COLDSTEEL1865

Sascha A McKnight
    Member/CWPT
    Reenactor At Large:D

Re: 1861 Springfield

I'm sure you read it when you signed up, but use the search function. Put in something like Springfield Defarb or Musket Defarb. This subject has been gone over several times and is still packed somewhere in the annals of this forum.
    About the bayonet, about the only advice I could give about a loose fit is to sell it and buy a new one that fits and that is made correctly~~~or~~~ buy and use an original that fits.
    I hope this helps.
    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
    WIG/GVB
    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Hallo!

You will find that the AC Forum's SEARCH feature can be a good place to find discussions with advice, sources, and resources such as:

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Sounds like an Armi Sport US 1861, the giveaway being the loose barrel bands rattling. Sell it and get a James River de-farbed contractor series or the like. You will only be able to take the Armi Sport US 1861 so far. It is better to invest the difference and have the corrections made professionally if you are not mechanically inclined.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
        X