Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Nutmeg

Hello,
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is "wooden nutmeg"? I have never heard the term except here and can find no mention of it anywhere. Any light shed on this mystery-to-me would keep me from hurting myself by thinking too hard.
    My best Regards,
    Kevin Schoepfel
    140th NYVI

Re: Wooden Nutmeg

Kevin,

Google the term and you should find an explanation.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

From Wikpedia

"Connecticut gets its nickname ("the Nutmeg State", "Nutmegger") from the legend that some unscrupulous Connecticut traders would whittle "nutmeg" out of wood, creating a "wooden nutmeg" (a term which came to mean any fraud)"
      Michael L. Martin, NWCWC, US Medical Dept.

Comment

Mike is spot on...thanks Wikipedia.

The term "Wooden Nutmeg(s)" was used by men of New England regiments when referring to Connecticut troops; the term "Nutmegger(s)" was also commonly tossed about.

Oddly enough, "Plymouth Pilgrims" is also documented as being a nickname for Connecticut infantrymen.

Nutmeggers on Antietam Creek

Comment

The "Plymouth Pilgrim" moniker is generally applied to those Federals captured in the 1864 Battle of Plymouth. NC and subsequently sent to Andersonville. They were so styled by the existing captives when they arrived in the camp. Included among these captured regiments was the 16th Connecticut. I would bet that is where you have seen the Pilgrim reference. See this site: http://home.att.net/~cwppds/pilgrims.htm
          Last edited by roundshot; 04-06-2008, 09:37 AM. Reason: add link
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Well, I have no quotes from a military perspective, but have found the term "No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here" from an original newspaper from the 1850s, possibly late 1840s while doing CA gold rush research. It basically refers that the vendor or store sold only the real deal, nothing fake or inaccurately described as to it's real purpose. In other words, he didn't sell fake carved wooden knobs and tell customers they were nutmegs. It's been my store's motto for over 17 years. :wink_smil
            Mfr,
            Judith Peebles.
            No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
            [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Working...
            X