Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• researching

Hey all,
    Where can I find the actual uniform and equipment returns for US Regular Cavalry regiments during the war?
    many thanks,
    Dan Murphy

Re: researching

Dan,
    The Ordnance Returns are available at the National Archives. To the best of my knowledge, there is no comprehensive source for uniform information.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Hallo!

Or do you mean reproduced blank forms for Living History use?

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Dan,

One of the groups that portray the 2d Cavalry used to half some for that regiment on their webpage. They claimed to have them for all the regular regiments and that the information was the same for rest of the regiments. If I can find it I will post it. If not I will try and find the notes I took on it.

Chris Fischer
        Fort McKavett State Historic Site
        &
        F-Troop

Comment

Here we go.

Chris Fischer
          Fort McKavett State Historic Site
          &
          F-Troop

Comment

Clothing returns are the place to look for information about uniforms, but they are a rather hit or miss proposition. If they're still in existence, the best place to look for them will be in the National Archives. Regulations required that each company (and regiment) keep a series of ledger books: morning reports, orders, and clothing records. As units were disbanded or otherwise re-organized, the records were turned into the War Department and eventually found their way into the Archives. For some units, all of the books are available; for others, there are none. One other thing to consider: if you're at the Archives, be sure to look at the company muster rolls. In addition to providing unit strengths, they also include a summary of the past month's activities, losses due to battle and sickness, and cursory inspection reports on the state of arms, equipment, drill, appearance, and military bearing.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
            James Brenner

Comment

Thanks everybody! Do y'all know if those NAtional Archives records are online?
              One of my main questions is if the simple four button blouse coats would be correct for the companies of the 4th US Cav serving in the western theatre.
              Or would it be the trimmed shell jackets. I'm leaning toward the simple blouses but it's so easy to be wrong.........

Yours,
              Daniel Murphy

Comment

Working...
              X