Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder flask sheath?

Ladies and gentlemen-

I have not been able to find documentation for a "holster" for a powder flask, although I admit, I have not been working hard at it. Have a pattern for one, but...

Most of the CW books I have show mostly posed photos, and the back of the soldiers are rarely shown. That is the "documentation" that I have been given. "They had them, but they aren't in the phots."

I am currently making some reproduction leatherwork, but don't want to waste my time, and my customers, on a reproduction of something that might not exist!
    Mark Royer
    "It ain't like the old days, but it'll do"

Re: Powder flask sheath?

Hallo!

The pre 1850 Regulations bronzed copper U.S. military powder flasks (Ames, Batty, etc.) were intended to be issued to riflemen (the Navy dabbled in them as well) in a hold-over to the old styles of shooting bag and horn.
    When the new M1841 Rifles started rolling out after 1844, they were paired with the M1841 Pouch, Flask, and Belt accoutrements.
    The bullet (or cartridge) pouch had two loops for the narrow shoulder belt. What is interesitng is that the lower end of the white buff belt is split to allow for a pair of straps to support the flask (such as the "Ames" Peace Flask) with passed back brass hook attachments as well as the bullet pouch.

I have never seen or referenced a sheath or holster for a powder flask... my impression being that the smaller, civilian styles were intendeed to be carried in one's coat pocket.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

What this guy is looking for is a "holster" for his pistol flask. He wants a flap holster for a Colt, a cap box and a flask holster for a cavalry impression.
      Mark Royer

Comment

Would not a pistol cartridge box to hold paper pistol cartridges be the proper thing?
        James Cassell

Mossy Creek Mess SCAR
        1st East Tenn Battery B

Comment

Originally posted by 6Pdr View Post
          Would not a pistol cartridge box to hold paper pistol cartridges be the proper thing?

Why yes, yes it would. Packets of either commercially made or gubbmint made.

HOWEVER: It was also common to simply carry packs in pockets of jackets or a vest when/if pistol cartridge voxes were not available. For example, many many officers dod NOT use pistol boxes, or cap boxes on their sword belts. By the time you get all the "goodies" you start to look like you are wearing Batman's utility belt. A small tin of pistol caps and a packet or two of cartridges fit easily into the pockets.

To echo Curt's comments, I know of no means of carrying a flask other than the one devised for the accoutrement set he describes.

respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Doc-

"They had them, but they aren't in the phot[o]s."-they also do not appear to exist in the written records or in any of the surviving artifact collections. As has been noted above, during the war years the vast majority of ammunition used was in the form of 'factory' loaded paper wrapped ammunition. In years of reading 1st person accounts I've only come across one reference to a powder flask and that was to a small(probably priming)powder horn picked up off a dead rebel at Shiloh.
            Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Thanks all. That is what I thought, but we all know how bull-headed some reinactors get.

I will try to talk the guy out of this piece of leatherwork.
              Mark Royer

Comment

I've seen (and downloaded) a photo of an original Colt Dragoon that was sold with an old gun belt that held a flask-holster and bullet bag. This was obviously a civilian item, but it shows that there WERE such things as flask-holsters. Just not a commercially manufactured or "issue" item. I'll download the photo as soon as I get a chance, in case anybody is interested.
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Here it is:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Ok,
                    I a little puzzled here. Has no one picked up on the fact that Doc is looking to research an item for a guy to use in a cavalry impression? Cavalrymen did not carry such things. It is hard enough trying to reload a revolver with cartridges while on a moving horse, and I would venture to say that it would darn near impossible, not to mention unsafe, to pour powder from a flask into a cylinder while mounted.
                    Revolver ammunition was issued in packets, period. Private purchase articles did appear and were used but not things such as this. It just doesnt make sense and the historical record doesnt bear it out.

Dave Myrick

Comment

I have to agree with Dave. I've been a cav reenactor for 14 years and would never dream of trying to load from a flask on horse back. Maybe a private saddle maker may have made it for a customer. But cartidridges were issued.
                      Cpl. Joseph Lambert
                      7th TN Co.D

Comment

Working...
                      X