X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army30th
    replied
    Re: Appalachian Speech: By Craig Hadley

IMHO, anyone who tries to attempt to "affect" a Southern dialect is probably not going to do it very well, or at the very worst end up sounding like Larry the "you know who", without some vocal coaching from someone who was raised in the South. I live in NJ and still speak with a Southern NC accent. I get laughed at all the time. I guess I'll never be Jer-zee, thank God!

The honest to God only way to learn it, is to live there and hear it. And really listen. It's a beautiful sound.

Leave a comment:

• tenfed1861
    replied

A good book to read to learn some good Appalachian speech pattern is "Tales of a Ridgerunner".I don't remember the auther,but it is good to hear speech pattern of NE TN/SE KY in the turn-of-the-century period.And it's a good read all around.

Leave a comment:

• Vicksburg Dave
    replied

I read a Yank diary in an arhive a few years ago where he mocked members of "Stewit's Ko" (CS) for their speech.

(Stewart's Corps)

Leave a comment:

• Rev
    replied

Based upon an event from this weekend past:

Please, please don't attempt to do a first person Southron dialect if you have a Down East accent. It just won't fly and you will send anyone within earshot into either a laughing or caniption fit.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Gaddy
    replied

[QUOTE=rebelyell62;67848]Nearly all of my people hail from S.C. Kentucky (Lincoln County)

Pee Pyyyy ,peek a boo.

That brings back memories to a "lower NC Piedmont/mountain-educated" Tar Heel, and I often wondered about the expression, for that's the way I always heard it. But I finally decided that (like "chester drawers" being "chest OF drawers") what was intended was "peep eye"--just slide the final "p" back to the left a notch!
    Tom Wicker's novel about 2nd Manassas, "Unto this Hour," does a good job on dialect: e.g., "fard." Meaning? "He stuck his haird up an' Ah fard at it."

Leave a comment:

• Digger
    replied

My family (Mom's) is from Boone County, WV, and my Dad's if from Perry County, KY. Having traveled all over the United States and abroad, I am amazed at the variations of dialect. My wife is orignally from New York city, and then later moved to South Eastern Massachusetts where she has lived until our marriage. She was of the mind that there was only one Southern accent, and was amazed when I could generally tell someone's place of origin by nuances and expressions. My favorite story is of my Mom at the local grocery store. They still bring the sacks of groceries to your car. The fella asked my mom whichin? To which my Mom replied...which end of what? (She lost here hillbilly translator over the years). The fella slowly says to her (with a look of exasperation) What...are...ya...in? Meaning which car was her's.

Leave a comment:

• rebelyell62
    replied

Nearly all of my people hail from S.C. Kentucky (Lincoln County)

My grandma still call bacon middlen meat ( the meat from the middle of the hog)

Everyone still says" I reckon" to mean in agreement.

"Over yonder" Over there

Pee Pyyyy ,peek a boo.

One particular moment comes to mind when I was a small boy.

My dear mother was shopping at Sears for Christmas gifts (mid 70's) She ask the lady where she might find the "civil war sets" ( toy soldiers, cannon,etc, boxed as a set)
    The lady pointed her to the houseware section of the store, thinking mom was saying silver ware sets.

I still fondly smile when I think of that.

Leave a comment:

• sumter_guard
    replied

There was talk a page or so back of movies that do a good job utilizing this accent (for lack of a better word . . . is dialect better?). I wanted to mention the Audie Murphy "Red Badge of Courage." Rob Hodge and I talked about it one time and I remember us both agreeing that the soldiers must have sounded very similar to those portrayals. Just for the dialogue alone that is a great film.

"A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree, the more you beat 'em the better they be."

Andrew

Leave a comment:

• 58th C
    replied

A number of years ago I came across a series of children's books written in regional dialects. The series was written in the 1940's. Lois Lenski is best known for her Newbery Medal winning "Strawberry Girl" which takes place in rural Florida around 1900. Her research for "Blue Ridge Billy " was done in Ashe Co. , N.C. She chose to write this way so the reader could get a feel for the ways people in various parts of the country spoke. She did note that what some may have considered "poor English" was , in fact, Old English. You-uns with children might enjoy this as a read-aloud.

Lauren Kaye

Leave a comment:

• Hank Trent
    replied

That just reminded me, I've not heard the "Fair to partly cloudy" reply, but "fair to middlin'" was common in my family.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net

Leave a comment:

• C.R. Henderson
    replied

In reading this whole thread one term that hasn't come up is "dun" as in "Y'all dun did that boy wrong." Another one that I use almost daily is a reply to the question "How you doin'?" which is "Fair to partly cloudy." Which could also be said "Aahight". I come from a long line of Georgians- part from down 'round Laurens County (Dublin/McRae) and the other half from around Hall county (Gainesville/Floowery Branch)[that side actually helped settle Hall county in 1811 between the Chattahoochee and the Chestatee Rivers.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck A Luck
    replied

Having been born & raised in upper East Tennessee, this thread has brought back many fond memories. I lived "down 'ere" for over 25 years, before relocating to the edge of Dixieland in the early 80's. One term ("appylachian conjunction"?) I used to hear a lot (and still use, if I want to turn on my old Tennessee accent) is "Yont," (for "Do you want"), as in...

"Yont to fetch me 'at hickory switch, cuz you'n gotta whuppin comin'!"

Leave a comment:

• Bluegoose
    replied

My wife and I are south Georgiaians, too and we've heard practically all of the above, including,...

fly flap=fly swatter
    oh flitter=darn it
    better'n snuff=awfully good
    padder's=face powder
    chigger bite=a chip as on a cup rim
    'shaw=really?
    I swannee-I declare
    hit'll do=it will do
    a fur piece=a far distance

Leave a comment:

• nrandolph
    replied

One very common expression I heard when I first started teaching in Pendleton County in West Virginia, an extremely rural area, was, for an expression of amazement, "El, Deed and double!" Never have heard that one anywhere but there and an easy way to tell where in the state they live.

Neil Randolph
    1st WV

Leave a comment:

• reddcorp
    replied

My mother and my grandmother, both from south Georgia, often use the phrase "Well, I'll swan" when amazed by something or another.

My paternal greatgrandfather (a Smyrna Georgia native) was called "Grandsir" by all of the grandkids, and everyone else for that matter. I've not heard that used anywhere else.

Andy Redd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X