Dig Dis Funky Hat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dig Dis Funky Hat!

Pards, came across this on Ebay, what's everyones oppinion?

Looks kinda cool to me :tounge_sm

Re: Dig Dis Funky Hat!

One of the 'swords' looks almost like...a shepherd's crook, or something like that. Was a sword and a crook or ? an emblem used by the GAR? If not, I almost get the impression that this is a piece of regalia from one of the fraternal organizations so popular in the 19th Century. Is a kinda cool-lookin' chapeau.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

hi,

I might be wrong but this hat looks like to me a 1839 Mexican war forage cap. There's a few patterns to this forage cap so it could be anyone of them. Looks to me like its a officer type. Like i said i might be wrong !
      Waylon Pashong
      hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

I think it may be a late 19th early 20th century PA national guard chaplins cap.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
          I think it may be a late 19th early 20th century PA national guard chaplins cap.
          Looks like an old band hat to me.

Comment

I for got to sign my name
            Sue Anne Knowlton

Comment

Chaplain's cap. Sword and crook... I hadn't thought of that.
              Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

The bell-crown style hat was adopted by the US Military as part of the new uniform regs of 1902. Fraternal organizations and bands usually followed suit a few years later. This is definately NOT a GAR emblem on the front. The crossed swords don't match US regulations either. It is probably a lodge hat, but I don't recognize which one. The early 1900s were a boom time for lodges in the US, most no longer exist.
                Scott Cross
                "Old and in the Way"

Comment

perhaps

If you're soliciting wild guesses, mine would be K of C And I ain't talking about where you get fried chicken, unless its on church nights...

:confused_

John Pillers
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross
                    The bell-crown style hat was adopted by the US Military as part of the new uniform regs of 1902. Fraternal organizations and bands usually followed suit a few years later. This is definately NOT a GAR emblem on the front. The crossed swords don't match US regulations either. It is probably a lodge hat, but I don't recognize which one. The early 1900s were a boom time for lodges in the US, most no longer exist.
                    Scott

I think you are right on this. Half the buildings in Oakland and the town of Alameda (near Oakland) were built as some sort of fraternal lodge. Every one of them had its own goofball getup to wear on lodgenight.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

The metal eyelets on the sides should have given it away as clearly being post war.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

I belive this is an I.O.O.F. hat. The Odd Fellows had a sort of military-style regalia and the crossed crook and sword is one of their devises. Is there any indiciation of who made it? M.C.Lilley & Co., Columbus Ohio, made quite a lot of Fraternal gear in the 19th C.

Tom Smith Redshirt Mess
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus :D
                        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

This would be one of the types of dress hats of the Patriarch Militants of the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows. The Patriarch Militants was formed along the lines of the Masonic Knights Templar, and became part of the order in 1886. Their official emblem was the Crossed Crook & Sword with Crown, and their official motto was "Justitia Universalis" (Universal Justice) and "Paux aut Bellum" (Peace or War)

A little more reserach would have to be done to determine the proper ID for the PA (Pennsylvania...maybe) & the number 31

An article on the brief history of the Odd Fellows was featured in "The North Light" the quarterly publication of Supreme Council 33rd degree, Ancient & Accepted Scottish Right, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, USA. Volume 35, No. 1, Pages 9-11. The authur was Mark A. Tarbert, 32 Degree, who is the curator of the Masonic National Heritage Museum. The Musuem has one of the largest collection of IOOF artifacts in the nation, as per the article.

Yes, they are working to preserve more than just our Masonic Heritage.
                          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Todd: Thanks for the more informative info! I knew it was I.O.O.F., I just
                            couldn't recall the particulars.

Tom Smith , E.C.V.
                            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
                            X