This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemasonry

I know that this has topic has been discussed many times in the past.. but, I require some clarification....

Is the masonic badge being worn by so many reenactors authentic? If a solider was a mason, would they have worn the badge on there uniform?

I belong to the Master Builder Lodge #911 F&AM, Buffalo, NY

I wear one of these badges on my vest.. Thanks for your anticipated answers..

Re: Freemasonry

Brother,
    Use the search function as this was discussed no less than 2 weeks ago in great length.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Brother Mike,

I believe what Brother Landrum was attempting to say was:

On the second page of the "Masonic Material Culture" thread there is a lengthy post with various period quotes about identification worn by Brothers during the war. That would be a good place to start.

Now, to your primary question: NO, the patches sold by most sutlers ARE NOT authentic to the period. Sorry. There were many different period ways to identify yourself as a member of the Craft. However, I've never seen a patch such as are commonly worn by many reenactors today in a period photo or in written account.

You will get a good idea of those from the Material Culture Thread. What I will add is: generally the Square & Compasses worn by our Brethran in the Civil War were small and less conspicuous. They were obvious to those who understood their meaning, but less noticable by the standard of the "patch" today.

I hope this has been of some help to you. If you'd like to ask any more questions, but may not want to post them on this thread, please feel free to shoot me a PM.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM.
      PATRICK CRADDOCK
      Prometheus No. 851
      Franklin, Tennessee
      Widows' Sons Mess
      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Happy reading brother.

Im closing this thread as further posts would be better suited to the original thread linked above.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X