Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum

I have recently become interested in learning how to drum, so I need to purchase a drum. I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get a good drum? It seems that everyone that I have looked at so far uses synthetic material in their construction. Is there someone out there that makes a good drum?
    Justin Connor

Carroll Drums

I bought my son's drum from Nathan Carroll. His web site states, " All drums are fitted with synthetic heads at the prices quoted. If period-type skin heads of calf and/or goat skin are desired they can be obtained at an additional cost. His prices are reasonable too. Give him a call.
    Michael L. Martin, NWCWC, US Medical Dept.

Comment

Re: Drum

Hi Justin,
      My drum was made by Mr. George Carroll (Nathan Carroll's father). I highly reccommend Mr. Carroll's drums. George Carroll has a shop in Alexandria Va. George Carroll and his sons both do excellent work. I might note that Mr. Carroll originally put synthetic ropes on my drum (they have since been replaced). Please note that this is not something that he normally does. I am sure that he would gladly make yours with cotton ropes, but that is another thing to be aware of when you are looking for a drum. Some companies use synthetic ropes with many of their drums, so you may want to choose carefully.
      Sincerely,
      William H. Chapman
      Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Cooperman and Florence Drum Company both make nice drums. Cooperman will put on the natural skin heads, ropes, and guts, but they'll be extra of course. The wood they use for the shells and hoops is also, in my opinion, far superior than the Carroll drums.

If you can manage to find a Red Dragon Drum they are also very good. They're not made anymore, but you never know who might be selling one. I have one of the last one's made by them, custom sized for me, and it plays great.
        Matt Lovejoy

Comment

I would go with Cooperman. Ask them for calfskin heads, milk paint, all period varnishes,, and hemp rope. I would also get a drum made out of ash.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I will definately check those out. I was debating on whether to actually get calf skin heads or the synthetic skin heads. It is my understanding that if the calf skin gets wet it tears easily and it tends to rain at almost half of the events I attend. I think the synthetic heads are waterproof. Is that just a myth or are they really that fragile? Is there a method of preventing that from happening and still being able to play in the rain with a natural head?
            Justin Connor

Comment

I was also thinking about the design. I think I would like to get an amber finish with tacks, but my issue is I do both Union and Confederate and I haven't noticed any plain drums on the Federal side. It seems that most of them have an eagle design. I want a drum that I can use for either impression. Would it be correct to use if it had a federal eagle on it for a Confederate impression or would a plain drum be more correct? I am trying to get as much information as I can. I am new to this side and I feel like I'm totally in the dark. Please feel free to give me some 2 cents.
              Justin Connor

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog0311 View Post
                I was also thinking about the design. I think I would like to get an amber finish with tacks, but my issue is I do both Union and Confederate and I haven't noticed any plain drums on the Federal side. It seems that most of them have an eagle design. I want a drum that I can use for either impression. Would it be correct to use if it had a federal eagle on it for a Confederate impression or would a plain drum be more correct? I am trying to get as much information as I can. I am new to this side and I feel like I'm totally in the dark. Please feel free to give me some 2 cents.
                Let's start with the fact that I am not a drummer, I am the father of a drummer. With that, I have seen images of union drummers with and without the eagle design. In this thread there is a close up of a drummer sitting on his drum. There appears to be no design. Now, we may just be looking at the back of his drum, I don't know. Now a quick look on the LOC for "Union Drummer" came up with these images.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd RI Drummers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	217726

Click image for larger version

Name:	8th NY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	217727

So I guess what I'm getting at here is their could be an argument for a Union Drummer that has a drum with a plain finish and tacks. Please do not take my word as gospel, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people hear who can help out.
                Michael L. Martin, NWCWC, US Medical Dept.

Comment

Hi Justin,

An eagle design is appropriate for a Union drum because that is what the Federal regulation calls for. However, Confederate eagle drums were extremely rare. If I were you, I would go with a tacked design and possibly a stenciled regimental number. There is one such drum on page 52 of A Pictorial History of Civil War Era Musical Instruments and Millitary Bands by Garofalo & Elrod. That particular drum was used by a drummer in a New Hampshire regiment and it has no eagle design. Keep in mind that drums with just a tacked design were fairly rare in the Union army and more common in the Confederate army.
                  Sincerely,
                  William H. Chapman
                  Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

So I have that narrowed down as to what design I will get. The one thing that still worries me is the natural heads. It is my understanding that they tear very easily when they get wet or even dry too quickly or too slowly. I may be required to play in the rain. Is there a method to get past this or is it best just to go with a synthetic skin head?
                    Justin Connor

Comment

Hi Justin,

The one thing that still worries me is the natural heads. It is my understanding that they tear very easily when they get wet or even dry too quickly or too slowly.
                      I have heard that as well. I have tried both synthetic and natural heads in the past and I would have to say that that statement is farely accurate. Some synthetic heads look exactly like the real thing except for the fact that they are built on a metal hoop. I have broken all three of the natural heads that I have had on my drum in the past and replaced the synthetic head because it was farby and it looked bad with the metal hoop at the bottom. My advice would be to go ahead and use natural heads. It's only about $10.00 to buy a new head if you do break one. This is just one of those things where you just need to try both options and see which one you like.
                      Last edited by YoungCampaigner; 04-22-2008, 02:26 PM.
                      Sincerely,
                      William H. Chapman
                      Liberty Rifles

Comment

Since you mentioned that you wish to learn how to play drums, I would suggest not buying a drum at all (not yet at least). Buy a practice pad kit to learn on first. This way you can learn more about drums in general, how to read the music, figure out what you want to get, etc. Plus its quiet, so you can practice anywhere, anytime (although they do sell drum mutes). You may start drumming, get frustrated, and realize you don't want to do it anymore. You don't need a real snare to practice rudiments.

Just a thought.
                        Last edited by jtrotta; 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM.
                        John Trotta

Comment

I would have to disagree with the statement that tack only design drums were rare in the Union army. There are numerous photos and original examples that are documented to the Union army. There are even a few examples in the Federal Echoes of Glory.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
                          Andrew Turner
                          Co.D 27th NCT
                          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Hi Andrew,

I would have to disagree with the statement that tack only design drums were rare in the Union army. There are numerous photos and original examples that are documented to the Union army. There are even a few examples in the Federal Echoes of Glory.
                            I agree with you and I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post. By saying that that tacked drums were fairly rare, I meant that they were not as common as eagle drums. Sorry for my bad wording and thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Again.
                            Sincerely,
                            William H. Chapman
                            Liberty Rifles

Comment

Hey Justin,
                              I forgot totally about talking to you about this over the weekend. I guess the rain made me forget. I used a drum that had a synthetic head on it, and it was better in the rain. You didn't have to worry about it as much. My drum that I used about 2 years ago has a skin head on it, and I have to be extremely careful. Hope this helps. Give me a call. I have a few questions about upcoming events.
                              Cpl. Ryan Halsey
                              Wampus Cats Mess
                              Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Liberty Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X