Brass Snare Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Snare Shell

Looking for any information on the use of Brass shell snares during the war. I happened upon a drum manufacturer's piece in an antique mall. The markings are post-war (1875), the drum is fitted with rods instead of rope tension. The drum is 16" x 10" and the maker was Wuerlitzer Bros. out of Cincinnati, OH.

(1) Were brass shells utilized 10+ years earlier?
    (2) Were some makers using tension rods instead of rope during the war?

I typically have seen these type of drums pop up for sale with authentication ranging from 1870-1890's. Many avenues of research have been exhausted so I figured I'd throw it out to potential players or collectors who may have first hand knowledge/experiences.

Many Thanks,
    Erick Gustin
    51st OVI Co. B &
    Cleveland Zouave Light Guards

Re: Brass Snare Shell

Brass drum shells were used to some extent during the war. There is actually an original piece in the Troiani book Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War.

It is also interesting to note that the Confederacy was importing brass drums from France.

Hopefully Will Chappel will chime in soon as I'm sure he has some more to offer on the subject. Actually, I learned about the Confederacy importing brass drums from him.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

There is a brass shell drum at the visitors center at Sharpsburg.

Yes... Will knows about brass shell drums. He can fill you in.

He had a brass shell made for him in Europe.
      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Brass drums have been made in europe since the 18th century. The french were noted to be excellent drummers. The drummers in napoleon's army beat on drums with brass shells about the same size used in the war between the states. Howe's fife and drum book refers to a drum that was in a boston museum in 1861 that was used by the hessians during the rev war, said to be about the same size as the ones then in use. similar drums are played (and made) in france and belgium today, although the width has decreased from 16 to 15 inches and the height from 11 to 13 down to maybe 8 or maybe even 6 inches. They are still played in the carnivals there. The louisianna zouave drummer in echoes of glory sports a french style over-the-shoulder drum sling- I can't tell about the drum's construction from the photo. The entire drum corps of the 30th pennsylvania had brass drums. I there is a brass drum in one of the museums around here, maybe the one paul mentioned, that once belonged to a confederate drummer and was captured by a yankee who said it sounded better than his own. George carroll told me that the confederacy imported drums from france. This was most likely in the early part of the war, and in small quantity. It seems like a probable explanation though. There are a several photos of original rope tension brass drums, alleged to be from the war, that I have collected from the internet. Many look to have a shell about 16 by 12 or so. Many presentation drums were made from brass and german silver and given to drummers who served during the war.

The only thing I know about early rod tension drums is that they were first made in europe, and there is a photograph circa 1867 from elrod and garafalo's book that shows a good sized rod tension drum. If I recall correctly, it is wooden. I brass-shelled rod tension drum that size would be way too heavy.

There are several brass drums in the union drummer boy in gettysburg that are obviously late 19th century or early 20th century and of european make. There is a brass rope tension bass drum there that was made in brussels. If the owner would charge what it's worth rather than pawning it off as being an "original" from the war, I might buy it myself.

The most interesting metal-shelled drum from the war has to be the bass drum of the 9th mississippi, made from a biscuit tin.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Will, Andrew & Paul,

Thanks for the information & leads. I may pick up that brass snare for the fun of restoring it. I'll post a pic if I do. The rods are not mounted in the center as some later models are. I'm tempted to get a new set of hoops and convert to rope tension. It does make me want to research the Cincinnati drum maker (Wuerlitzer Bros.) to see if they were making drums during the war.

Regards,
          Erick Gustin

Comment

As a volunteer at the Texas Civil War Museum I have seen in storage a brass shell drum with "Memphis Novelty Works" inside. Any info on it I'd like to know, or I can see if I can get a photo.

Thanks,

Joe Walker

Comment

There's another one in the museum in Missouri's State capitol. I can't remember which regiment though but it was a federal one.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth
              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Working...
              X