Authentic Drumstick Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Drumstick Sources

Beside's Cooperman's, are there any other sources for period correct sticks that forum members would recommend?

Many Thanks,
    Erick Gustin
    51st OVI Co. B &
    Cleveland Zouave Light Guards

Re: Authentic Drumstick Sources

Only one of Cooperman's 20 plus drumstick models resembles a civil war stick, the civil war model, but they are logs. They used to make a slightly smaller model that was just right for an adult drummer. I have a pair of old glory drum shops's ebony bullet point sticks which are alright but a little light for me. The taper and design is period correct as they are copied from originals. I'm pretty sure the wood is not the same species of old growth lumber that would have been available 100 years ago. They appear to have been stained black and varnished. The wood probably started out more of a dark brown. They would be great for a younger drummer though. Robert from ogds also makes some other cocobolo and rosewood sticks. I can't really tell from the photos, but most of them have more of a modern (short) taper.

I had someone who has a lathe and duplicator turn come copies of my old cooperman rosewoods from 1990 (the model cooperman discontinued). Joe Carter is his name and he lives near Baltimore. Send me a pm and I'll see if I can dig up his contact info. He still has my old stick, so he could make you a copy. Tell him I sent you (and I want my stick back). George Carroll also has some nice copies of originals that are available in hickory.
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM.
    Will Chappell

Comment

Fellers

I recently bought a pair of ebony sticks fron Old Glory drum shop. Vey nice work

Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
      1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Yes.....

Old Glory has nice sticks.
        Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hi Will,

George Carroll also has some nice copies of originals that are available in hickory
          I was just in his shop a few weeks ago and I bought a pair. They look pretty nice and the weight is good as well. They remind me a little of the old Cooperman sticks.
          Sincerely,
          William H. Chapman
          Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Working...
          X