selections from a concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selections from a concert

The following selections were played at a concert in Houston, Texas, in December 1862. The concert was for the benefit of a soldiers' hospital.

Part I.

1. Overture, by the brass band of Col. DeBray's regiment. 2. Vocal Quartette—with flute obligato, from the opera of Preciosa—"The Enchanted Flute," Mesdames Goldthwaite and Tracy. Messrs. Loudon and Whitaker. 3. Cavatina, from the opera of La Sonnambula—"As I Viewed These Scenes so Charming," Mrs. Manly. 4. Glee, from the operetta of the Doom Kiss—"Give me a cup of the Grape's bright Dew," Mrs. Tracy, Messrs. Loudon and Otis. 5. Cavatina—"I'll follow Thee"—H. Farmer, Miss Van Alstyne. 6. Duett for Flutes, with accompaniment of piano forte, Messrs. Gonzales, Otis and T. Stadtler. 7. Irish Melody, "The Harp that once thro' Tara's Halls," Mrs. Tracy. 8. Cantata—"The Maniac," H. Russell, in character, by Mr. Benchley.

Part II.

1. Overture, by the Band. 2. Comic Song, "The Old Irish Gentleman," in character, by Mr. O'Flaherty. 3. Duett, from the Opera of don Giovanna, "La ci carem la Mano," Miss Van Alstyne and Mr. Otis. 4. Ballad, "The Coming of the Flowers.—Wallace, Mrs. Goldthwaite. 5. Duett, from the Opera of Lucia di Lammermoor—Soffriva Nel Planto, Messrs. Loudon and Otis. 6. German Song, "Die Schonaten Augen"—Stigelil, Miss Mary Allen. 7. Comic Song, in Costume. Mr. A. Straus. 8. Duetto, from the Opera of I Vespri Siciliani—"A Gleam of Rapture," Mrs. Goldwhaite and Miss Van Alstyne. Morgan's War Song—With Grand Chorus—"Cheer Boys, Cheer," Miss van Alstyne and Chorus.
    On account of the illness of Mr. Benchley, who was suffering from acute bronchitis, Messrs. Ruthven, Otis and Loudon volunteered in his stead, and sang much to the delight of the audience, "Willie Brewd a Peck O'Maut." Master Smith, a lad of ten years of age, and son of one of the members of Col. DeBray's brass band, played on the violin, "Gems of the Ocean," in a very creditable manner.
    Annette Bethke
    Austin TX
    Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
    [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]
Working...
X