Period Guitar Reproduction Good To Go - II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Guitar Reproduction Good To Go - II

Update II: Ok, the Republic RP guitar is a reasonably priced solid-top guitar based on a mid-19th century guitar pattern. You get them from eBay or the importer Republic Guitars at http://www.republicguitars.com/parlorguitars.html

I happened to meet Dave C. (Battlefield Balladeers) this week and we compared ours that we purchased and have been using for a while. We both feel these guitars are a professionally-useable instrument with a period appearance for not much money, at least compared to high-line reproductions costing hundreds more. They are Asian-made, and apparently not particularly consistent in finish and hardware. Dave's has a golden glow to the top finish and tuner hardware different than mine. Both had headstock decals that literally wipe off with a rag and guitar polish. Nice case comes with but all black Nylon so perhaps I will attempt to make a period coffin-style case - how hard can that be - anybody got a pattern for me?

Neither of us has yet taken the step of replacing the unwound strings with gut to improve the impression, and we both yet play them using flat picks as much as we do a more period-correct finger style. I'm working on that.

You do have to get your ear accustomed to the much "smaller" but not unpleasant sound of these guitars, as compared to the fuller-sounding dreadnaught sizes we are used to. Think of it as a sweeter sound suitable to back up your marvelous voice (which Dave has but I don't).

Dan Wykes
    btw Republic has no connection to me or I to them, and there may be better guitars available from another importer that I'm not aware of
    Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:51 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Re: Period Guitar Reproduction Good To Go - II

Danny,
    You're a God send. I was talking to a friend of mine today about getting a period guitar. Those you posted look pretty good. Man, forget finger picks. Just grow your nails out a bit. I've been trying to use finger picks for a while. I personally don't have as much control with them. Anyways, thanks for the post!
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Payton McCollum[/FONT]
    [FONT="Garamond"]Bitter Brothers Mess[/FONT]

Comment

Danny,

I have built two Civil War period guitars, and I also built "coffiin cases" for both of them. I wrote up a complete step by step method for building a coffin case, and I'll send you a copy if you will send me your email address. I can't figure out how to attach it here, and it is over 5 megabytes with numerous photographs of the process from start to finish.

This goes for anyone else who wants to build a coffin case, send me your email address and I'll forward a copy.

Robert Johnston
      johncvill@yahoo.com

Comment

I have a question for you danny. Does the period guitars look anything like the body of the 1950s and 1960s jumbo guitar?
        [B]Pvt. Jordan Coffey
        -37th Virginia Infantry-
        -Wampus Cats Mess-
        "Southen Guard Drum & Fife Corps"
        [/B]

Comment

Danny-I agree with Payton your a God send. this is what I was trying to find out with my post ( considering buying a guitar) will any parlor guitar work then for a civil war impression? like, Martin sells a parlor guitar.
          thanks
          Last edited by KAB; 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM.
          Ken Balos

Comment

Dear Dan ,
            Good , clear report ! Thanks for kind words. Finger style performing is perfect for these guitars if the venue is correct. They are parlor guitars and are diffcult to hear around the campfire when fellers are talking or indoors in a large room . Perhaps live music performance was more appreciated in the 1860's ( a possiblility ) , or we today are just used to louder and more noise . Performing "Lorena " with period style guitar to a room full of senior citizens all talking to each other, themselves, the Creator , et.al., makes one pine for the innocent days of Bobby Horton ! Fiddlers never have a problem being heard but banjo and guitars .
            all for the old flag ,
            David Corbett
            Dave Corbett

Comment

Originally posted by coffey View Post
              I have a question for you danny. Does the period guitars look anything like the body of the 1950s and 1960s jumbo guitar?
              Jordan -

No. From everything I've found (I'm not an expert by any stretch) guitars during the CW period varied only in minor ways from the general shape and size of the guitar pics you see here and in other threads in this AC Music topic. I understand that there were classical European guitars that were a little bit bigger and broader in shape but nowhere near what we know as 'jumbo' size today.

Dan Wykes
              Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
              X