Civil War Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Dancing

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what a typical Union soldier would wear to a Civil War Dance/Ball?

Brian Hammons
    101st PA Vol. Infantry

Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: Civil War Dancing

My understanding is, for a private; a clean uniform with clean shoes or boots, but the frock coat (or piped Artillery or Cavalry shell jacket) rather than the sack coat, plain white shirt rather than a patterned shirt, issued vest, tied neckwear, kepi rather than slouch hat (removed after entry), gloves if available. Certainly no field accroutements (haversack, canteen, cap box, etc.) or weapons.

Officers have a higher standard to represent, with sashes, white gloves required and perhaps wearing their sword upon entry, but perhaps removed for mixing and dance.

I'd like to know more on this myself

Dan Wykes
      Danny Wykes

Comment

A pertinent question would be is it a dance or a ball?

Or is it a reenacting event that likely will resemble neither?

A gentleman going to a ball (unless some other dress was required, say a costumed ball) would probably wear a dress coat (think tailcoat rather than frock), silk vest (usually white or black), fine trowsers, dancing pumps, and starched shirt with pleated front, clean collar and white or black cravat.

A dance, or less formal occasion, would simply require whatever nice, clean, clothes the man had.

Think the difference between a dance and the prom. Would every man have the appropriate clothes for a ball? No. But most men would never have gone to one anyway as they would not have been of the social class that would attend a ball. Would most men have gone to dances? Certainly.

A soldier would do the best with what he had at a given time. Are you attending a local dance near your unit while in garrison? Then your normal uniform cleaned as much as possible will do. Is it actually a ball? Would many privates choose to attend a ball in military uniform?

This is not a response with firm answers, but I can't give you firmer answers without more information. Hope it is somewhat helpful.
        Last edited by Adjutant; 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling corrected
        Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
        Andrew Dangel,

Comment

These illustrations from the 21 November 1863 Harper's Illustrated Weekly might be helpful. The males shown were, for the most part, officers, but these images still show a fairly wide variety of what they considered to be appropriate dress for a ball.

Incidentally, the ball shown was thrown on 5 November 1863 in New York to honor the officers and men of six visiting Russian naval vessels.

All scans are at fairly hi-res, so you should be able to zoom in them with ease.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
          Attached Files
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Just to add a few points to what was posted above.

First of all, all of this advice is for a dance inside -- whether dance or ball:

1. You don't wear leathers to either. Frankly, as a civilian, I'm not terribly clear what "leathers" consititutes, but I'm told that soldiers do. Apparently it wsn't hard for the polish or blacking to come off on ladies' dresses when dancing.

2. Gentlemen don't wear dancing pumps to the dance, they wear normal shoes or boots to the venue, then change to dancing pumps (if they had them) once there. If the dance is outside, you don't change to dancing pumps but just wear your normal shoes. Dancing pumps have extremely thin soles -- I've read accounts of dancers wearing them out in one or two evening's dancing, (perhaps hyperbole), so I gather they're not going to stand up to street wear.

3. Hats, spurs and swords are removed at the door and checked in the cloakroom. Spurs with rowels catch on things (like dresses and trains). My understanding is swords and your spurs were considered, at a dance, as being more along the lines of your weapons -- not needed on the dance floor.

4. Evening dress gloves could be made of kid or cotton, and gentlemen wore them while dancing, but if there was a buffet dinner as part of the entertainment, you removed them before gathering a plate of victuals for yourself and your partner, and definately didn't wear them while eating.

Sincerely,
            Karin Timour
            Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
            Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
            Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. As my next event will of course be a dance at a reenactment, but I would like to give the most accurate impression as possible.

Brian Hammons
              101st PA Vol. Infantry

Comment

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what a typical Union soldier would wear to a Civil War Dance/Ball?
                Drag!

I've read a few accounts of soldiers' dances (one in particular among Federals stationed at New Bern, NC) in which there weren't ladies present, so the prettier boys put on dresses and danced the women's parts.

Couldn't tell you if any contemporary living historians have put on any Rocky Horror Civil War Shows though.

Brendan Hamilton
                Last edited by Dusty Merritt; 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot to sign my name
                Brendan Hamilton
                Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Merritt View Post
                  Drag!

I've read a few accounts of soldiers' dances (one in particular among Federals stationed at New Bern, NC) in which there weren't ladies present, so the prettier boys put on dresses and danced the women's parts.

Couldn't tell you if any contemporary living historians have put on any Rocky Horror Civil War Shows though.

Brendan Hamilton
                  Since it's historically accurate, it would be incorrect NOT to do that at the next New Bern event, and boy, do I want to see the pictures!
                  Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
                  X