Thanks from National CW Field Music School Director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks from National CW Field Music School Director

A note of thanks to all 116 participants (44 Music Students, 12 Military Staff, 25 Infantry, 13 Civilian Volunteers, 12 Music Instructors and 10 Members of the 26th North Carolina Regimental Band) who attended the National Civil War Field Music School at Pamplin Historical Park this past weekend. All in all a great weekend for learning Fife, Drum and Bugle calls, drum major techniques, military instruction, school of the musician, and even getting in a lively game of rounders! Thanks to Joel Hummel for providing a period Church service for us Sunday morning.

An event like this is the result of hard work from many great folks. A lot of it behind the scenes.

Thanks to the fine Instructors (Garman Bowers, Tim Ertel, Jeb Hague, Douglas Hedwig, Joe Korber, David Loyal, Kara Loyal, Jason Maines, George Rabbai, Stephan Southard, and Chuck Woodhead) who gave of their time and talents and to the Military Staff and Infantry for providing military instruction to the students and being the guard at the event. Music of the 26th NC band added to the weekend and I was glad to have their support. A wonderful volunteer force under the direction of Ron Myzie and Heather Faust kept us well fed. My thanks to Doug Dobbs for providing the military leadership for the school, Michael Schaffner for his usual great work as Adjutant, Joel Hummel, our Sergeant Major, Company Officers (James Tate, Andrew Dangel, Denny Rohrbaugh, Steve Hane) and 1st Sergeants (Rich Hill, Jay Callaham) who handled the musician companies. And the Marines were there as our Quartermasters! Thanks Les Salsbury and Jeff Pollock!

The heat and humidity was a challenge all weekend but thanks to Steve Isberg, our hospital stewart (an EMT) we were able to keep an eye on all the participants. He was kept pretty busy!

Last, but not least, thanks to the Pamplin Historical Park for their support of the School and to the National Association for Civil War Brass Music Inc., the non profit organization that planned and supported this endeavor. My thanks to Michael Vice, president, and all the board members of NACWBM!

We will be posting pictures of the event on the website soon! For those interested in ordering photos, there will be information there.

http://www.nationalcivilwarbrassmusi...sicSchool.html

Also, we will be posting more music resources on the site so that this becomes a year round place to access civil war music.

Interesting to note that a severe rainstorm came through on Saturday around 6:30 PM and rain fell during the evening, yet not a single person left because of the rain…I think that is a record for a CW event ☺

Keep an eye out for the next National CW Field Music School!

Again, my sincere thanks and gratitude.

Jari Villanueva
    Music Director, the National Civil War Field Music School
Working...
X