Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mammy's Little Baby..."

1) Three little children lyin' in bed,

Two of them sick and the other most dead.

Called for the doctor, the doctor said,

"Feed them children some shortning bread."

[chorus]

CHORUS:

Mammy's little baby loves shortning, shortning,

Mammy's little baby loves shortning bread.

Mammy's little baby loves shortning, shortning,

Mammy's little baby loves shortning bread.

2) When them children lying in the bed

Heard that talk about shortning bread,

Thay all got up and began to shout,

Laughin' and a-singing and a-dancing about.

[chorus]

3) Put on the skillet, put on the lid,

Mammy's gonna make a little shortnin' bread.

Then after that, there's a treat for you,

Mammy's gonna make a little coffee too.

[chorus]

I had a debate about this song with a friend... given the rhythm, the tune and the rhime is this song a pre-war/mid-19th century minstrel song?

I said it was one and of possible African origins- sure sounds like a tune along the lines of "Cluck Old Hen". I just cannot prove it for a fact with references. I have heard it sung at events, but no references to its possible origin.

Been hummin' it all day...:p

Any thoughts from the group? -Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: "Mammy's Little Baby..."

Well, a google search will yield extensive discussions like this one http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=51174 but I don't see anyone definitely establishing it as an ante-bellum tune. I checked both the LOC American Memory and the Duke University Historic Sheet Music collection, searching the word "Mammy." I got plenty of hits with turn-of-the-century pieces, but only one mid-century tune, and in that piece the word "Mammy" wasn't even used in a minstrel or African-American context.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
      Well, a google search will yield extensive discussions like this one http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=51174 but I don't see anyone definitely establishing it as an ante-bellum tune. I checked both the LOC American Memory and the Duke University Historic Sheet Music collection, searching the word "Mammy." I got plenty of hits with turn-of-the-century pieces, but only one mid-century tune, and in that piece the word "Mammy" wasn't even used in a minstrel or African-American context.
      See, there's the disconnect for me for this song... much like folk music with no writer/attribution to a writer but with a rhyme/rhythm/lyrics that sound from a certain ethnic provenance/era/geographical region- I cannot find a single resource stating this song is pre-war or for that matter postwar. If anyone can help with this research, please let me know. This is quite vexing to me. ;)

Sometimes the word "momma" was substituted in place of the politically-incorrect "Mammy" in the few versions of the song I've seen.

The darn thing sure sounds pre-war, but that doesn't mean it is.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Dear Secesh ,
        I have been trying to locate information on this song for years but alas , always in vain. The best I could find was the subtitle "A Plantation Melody " . Perform at your own risk . My group perofrms it at mainstream events , not at total immersion events. Like all show-biz , one has to determine one's audience.
        all for the old flag ,
        David Corbett
        Dave Corbett

Comment

Working...
        X