• Show
Clear All

• The Overdone Instruments of the "Civil War"

My vote for most Overdone Instruments of the "Civil War" are

(1) dulcimers - both table and lap
    (2) mandolins

- Dan Wykes

The long explanation:

It's common that much "Civil War" string band music is played on non-period instruments in non-period "old-timey" (1890s - current) or even Bluegrass (1930s - current) styles, including non-period vocal styles. Yes, Dulcimers and Mandolins existed during CW time but it's a real stretch to claim their authentic use in ACW reenactment.

I doubt that there will ever be the same sort of serious enforcement of authenticity standards for string bands at the level done for all other civ camp impression -- but not sure why it should get a pass. Those park and civic organizations that hire musicians for 'living history' or the Sat. night balls perhaps just don't think it important as long as people have a good time (which they do).

At least campfire impression of string bands, soldier bands, has improved much over the past five years -- thanks in a big way to the example of some of the posters to this forum. I aspire to it, but still get drawn into the 'old-timey' stuff just by peer pressure, and a bit too much hooch.

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: The Overdone Instruments of the "Civil War"

One word:

bodhrans.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Perhaps, add to the list, the category "string bands" of any sort, modern, "old-timey", or minstrel. Far more common would be a solitary fiddler fumbling his way (imperfectly) through tunes learned by ear or manuscript, than the ubiquitous well-rehearsed string band arrangements of traditional and minstrel tunes.
      Eric Marten

Comment

Originally posted by eric marten View Post
        Perhaps, add to the list, ... minstrel...the ubiquitous well-rehearsed ...minstrel tunes.
        Eric -

Surprised you would include rehearsed Minstrel fare, or even string bands, as questionable here -- with the photo and written sources showing that more than one unit had their string or "Minstrel" bands, and some having professional Minstrels in their ranks (Baur, Sweeney, Weston and others). Gen'l J.E.B. Stuart perhaps the closest to making it almost official, actually recruiting for all the Minstrel parts for his staff... You feel that probably not common in the armies, then?

Dan Wykes
        Danny Wykes

Comment

Dan:

No, I'm not saying that rehearsed string bands weren't present, or even common. I'm just saying probably not AS common as the thousands of solitary, solo instrumentalists such as the soldier fiddlers who learned tunes from their home environments, either by ear or manuscripts, such as the many volumes by Elias Howe and others, and brought these tunes, along with their fiddles to perform informally in camp. Obviously, these tunes had many incarnations - solo, unrehearsed, as well as the more polished rehearsed groups. There is plenty of room for both. By the way, please note the difference between well-practiced (alone) and well-rehearsed (in conjunction with others).
          Last edited by eric marten; 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM.
          Eric Marten

Comment

Originally posted by eric marten View Post
            ...No, I'm not saying that rehearsed string bands weren't present, or even common. I'm just saying probably not AS common as the thousands of solitary, solo instrumentalists such as the soldier fiddlers who learned tunes from their home environments...
            I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

Dan Wykes
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Another term...

"penny whistle"

-Johnny
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
              X