Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parlour Guitar Recordings

Greetings All,

I just recently bought an antique parlour guitar and am interested in attempting to learn some of a new style. I am aware of the tutorial and lesson books available from the 19th century, but I was wondering if anyone is aware of modern recordings of the parlour guitar?

I learn mainly by ear, and would love to hear performances of 19th century songs, ballads, and other trad. music.

I've played a couple of minstrel tunes on the instrument and love the sound. If you know of any guitar oriented CDs of this genre that would be grand.

Thanks much & cheers.
    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Re: Parlour Guitar Recordings

I am no expert and primarily a banjoist. I have recently started to dabble in period guitar. I approached it the same way as I did with the banjo and urge others to do the same. The first thing to do is forget all you have previously learned about technique and start from scratch using only period methods. Second, get rid of your plectrum and do not use it at all during the learning curve. It would also be wise to not carry one to an event to prevent the temptation. Third, no wire strings (except the silver over silk bass strings). I have chosen not to participate in "jams" with modern instruments at events. luckily, most period arrangements are solos or duets so this has not been a problem for me. In my experience, it was very difficult to go from a somewhat accomplished musician to a complete beginner. But I feel that this was the only way to learn correctly. Companion for the Guitar 1855, by Robert Kelley is free from the LOC American memories collection and has easy to play arrangements. I feel that the problem with learning historical music by ear is you will fall into the trap of repeating others shortcuts and mistakes. As with all history don't take anyones word for it. Check the facts. Do the research. Unfortunately all too many people present themselves as accurately portraying historical music technique and fail. I feel we have a duty as living historians to do the best we can, constantly raising the bar.
    By the way, is the term "parlor guitar" correct?

Joel W. Hooks
    -Joel Hooks

Comment

Originally posted by Deuceswilde View Post
      I am no expert and primarily a banjoist. I have recently started to dabble in period guitar. I approached it the same way as I did with the banjo and urge others to do the same....By the way, is the term "parlor guitar" correct?Joel W. Hooks
      Joel, Matt -

As I understand it "Parlor Guitar" is not a correct term except in hindsight today. At the time, it was simply a guitar (these were the standard size) or it was sometimes referred to as a "Spanish" or "Spanish-style" guitar to distinquish it from the "Classical" guitars which paradoxically came from or were patterned after another type of guitar made in Spain or other parts of Europe to play Classical compositions.

Joel, as an early style banjoist you are likely familiar with the musical talent (genius really) of Chas. Converse through his banjo publications, including his instructors. He had a talented brother, Charles, also a composer, who wrote "New Method for The Guitar" (see cover attached). Frances Weiland was another who wrote "Instructions for the Spanish Guitar" (cover also attached here). I have the pages for that one but have not yet converted it to pdf.

Dan Wykes

Note: I have a complete Briggs banjo tutor as a pdf book download from http://groups.google.com/group/Albert-Baur?hl=en
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Danny; 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM.
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Out of curiosity, when did the term "parlor" become attached to our little guitars? I'd be interested to see what time period.
        Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

C. Converse also arranged for pianoforte http://tinyurl.com/5exvrt His arrangement of "Spanish Hop Waltz" for the guitar, 1856, is a fun one to play. The Companion for the Guitar by Robert Kelley 1855 is by far a better tutor for the guitar. His arrangement of "Carnival of Venice" is a favorite of all my family members. Give it a try. http://tinyurl.com/5c4gmf Other great pieces contained include "Hopser," "Pastoral Quadrille" and (one of my favorites) "Water Witch."
          -Joel Hooks

Comment

Originally posted by MBBursig View Post
            Out of curiosity, when did the term "parlor" become attached to our little guitars? I'd be interested to see what time period.
            Matt -

When I was researching this last year, I found it was a very imprecise term, but it seems that nobody disputes that the term "parlor guitar" was in use by the 1960's. It apparently was the result of the guitar boom of that time. "Dreadnaughts" were becoming the most popular size of acoustic guitar, being used by rock stars, country western, and bluegrass players, so it became shorthand to group the previously popular standard guitar sizes. So they started calling them "folk" guitars and "parlor" guitars. (Of course Martin had long since classed several sizes of guitars by multiples of "0", but that was a technicality that music stores and afficianados used).

The etymology of the term is that by the 1960's nobody had a "parlor" in their house, they had living rooms and dens, so classing those smallest guitars as "parlor" also conveniently suggested their perceived antiquity, even though that size was common almost into the 1940's. So today any guitar of that sort has become for us a "parlor" guitar. The thing is, people of the 19th century likely didn't use that term much because to them it would be like saying "living room" or "den" guitar. Kind of silly.

Terms are still in transition, because lately new "folk" sized guitars are now labeled "fingerstyle" guitars, and new "parlor" sizes are now labeled "blues" guitars.

But back to your original request - It does seem that recordings of mid-ninteenth century popular tunes played on authentic (wound silk and gut string) common guitars are very rare. Lots of period tunes on modern steel-string guitars, even in the right style of playing, and lots of authentic period classical playing on authentic period classical guitars, but I can't seem to find popular period tunes recorded on authentic common guitars either - hope you get some feedback.

I've been finding midi's of the period tunes and reconstructing the melody on the fingerboard myself. I try to find the midi's made directly from period song sheets, government sites and such. Midi's are horrible musically, but they are very accurate for getting the tune and the time signature set in your mind. One of the best sources I've found is Jerry Ernst's (aka Jerund) site of Civil War era music at http://members.aol.com/Jerund/musicbox.html

Hope this helps. I'm trying to wean off of steel strings and a pick and play more fingerstyle, but at least I have a "parlor" style guitar based on an 1846 pattern for size and trim.

Dan Wykes
            Last edited by Danny; 07-26-2008, 12:49 AM.
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              ...you are likely familiar with the musical talent (genius really) of Chas. Converse through his banjo publications...
              I meant Frank Converse here.

-Dan Wykes
              Danny Wykes

Comment

IMHO I feel like the Midi route would be a lot of extra work, and again, dependent on the accuracy of the midi file creator. The music has been written out for you already, complete with dynamics, accents, suggestions for tempo, and all sorts of other elements that midi files don't capture well. The fact that it was published at the appropriate time period leaves no margin for error. If notation is your concern, never fear, I have found that learning the basics is far easier than learning even the rudiments of spanish or any other language. Armed with this basic knowledge you could do what I did while learning the banjo. I used the fold-out from Converse's "Green Book." I sat down with blank sheet music, and found each note of a given song on the fingerboard and wrote my own tabs. Soon I found myself no longer using the fingerboard chart and just writing out the tabs. I struggled (still do, but to a much lesser degree) with notation, and my sight-reading is very weak. I still rely on tab for banjo and guitar but at the very least I can check my work to the orignal and be confidant that it is correct. (I quickly discovered that I could read for the fife, I guess it is the polyphonic aspect of guitar and banjo that causes me trouble). Now I use a program called Tabledit, and if I had it to do over again I would still start with pencil and paper.

As to the guitars imported by Frank of Republic Guitars, I own one. I picked it up form Frank at his shop in his house. Among other topics, I asked what the inspiration was for his "parlor" model. He said that it was not traced, or based on any example of a early guitar. He said that he made up the shape with a 1920's guitar in mind and sketched it onto a piece of cardboard and mailed it to China. The neck is the standard style that is offered on his resonator guitars. We just got lucky that they approximate (loosely) a period guitar closer to the 1880's. Unfortunately, the rosette and binding is fake abalone, the bridge dates to the 1890's at best http://www.google.com/patents?id=-65...=Guitar+bridge the tuner buttons are plastic, brown in color and upside down, and the end-pin is just a modern brass strap button. I do not have the resources to compare it side by side with a documented example from 1846 or any other antebellum guitar, so I cannot say as to how well it stands up. I do know that it was not copied from an original, therefore, does not qualify as a proper instrument to be suggested on this site. Nor is it suitable for a full submerged civil war event. At the very least it is a good tool to learn on, as they sold inexpensively. One would be pressed to find a decent learners guitar of this quality at that price.

Dan, I did not know that anachronisms are addictive, that explains why folks react so quickly and negatively when I ask for documentation they might have to help further my research.;) You just have to quit cold turkey like smoking. Get rid of all the bad influences around you. Be proud that you can do it correctly.
                -Joel Hooks

Comment

Joel -

Calm down. The Republic parlor guitar just seems to be from the same Chinese factory, and is likely from the same shops as the Fullerton Blackwood parlor guitar, which IS based on original plans of an 1856 parlor guitar. The Fullerton was the first guitar mentioned on the AC as a candidate, and the Republic was mentioned to be a less expensive item of the same basic guitar. Republic simply was able to leverage the type for their orders - you will notice that the Republic headstock logo wipes right off with a rag and guitar polish or lemon oil.

In prior thread it was clearly stated that these are not museum-quality reproductions, but in fact quite a few of us feel fortunate to have them as we now have a better impression than we did previously. The AC is about working to a better impression, is it not?

Either of these guitars is an appropriate substitute in the absence of anything available at a cost below about $1200 or so. These guitars are way, way, better than what's typically been passed off for a period guitar (in my decade or so as a reenactor). All those points you make about the hardware, bridge etc. etc. were discussed at length in a prior thread, regarding how far one could go to "de-farb" these guitars a bit more before they should just call it quits and cough up the $1200. for a luthier-grade reproduction.

Your point about the midi's is well taken, even despite what I said about being discerning that the midi's were made from period sheet music and are only good for settling the melody into one's brain. But don't get me wrong, I encourage high-falutin' musicianship as the better way to pursue this :o.

Dan Wykes
                  Last edited by Danny; 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM.
                  Danny Wykes

Comment

Thanks for the info boys. Yeah, today I would never call an acoustic guitar a "folk guitar", it is just a guitar, so names don't necessarily always mean things.

I'll start taking a look at tunes and songs from various sources. Mostly I am supporting a fiddle player at a historic village for now.

Thanks & Happy playing
                    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X