Early Violin pegs and tailpeices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Violin pegs and tailpeices

While doing some CW fiddle fittings authenticity research, I recently came on an interesting article about the history of Violin fittings. While this article is more about earlier fittings, I found it very helpful as some of these styles of pegs and tailpeices were still in use on many fiddles during the Civil War era. Note the peg in figure 8 A, second from left. I have seen pegs like it on original instruments and in many pictures from the Civil War era. Also note the middle tailpeice in fig. 6 . The simple little mother of pearl circle and oval are also quite like I have often seen inlayed in the tailpeices of fiddles in period photos.

The chopped up links are posted in order, so to get the whole thing just start at the top and go down.

I hope this will be of help to other CW musicians!

Nathan Dodds
    Last edited by Nathan Dodds; 07-22-2008, 12:42 PM.
    Nathan Dodds

Re: Early Violin pegs and tailpeices

My friend made this for my little brother, Its me playing it there by the way, and I had questioned the mother of pearl dot inlay on the tailpiece. Your link and research would confirm it to be correct though.
    I had simply stripped the adjusters off my normal violin to make it period and changed the plastic pegs for wooden ones as they have changed very little in all these years.
    I have stoically refused, as some suggested to go to gut strings as experiments in doing so resulted in bad quality of sound, massive tuning issues and a volume defecit.
    I will pass these links onto the violin maker though.
    Civil war violin

Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Dear Nathan.

Thanks so much for posting this informative article!
      Worth knowing about, and keeping on file.

Yours,
      David Swarens

Comment

I think I'll link a picture that might be of interest in relation to the article.

The picture link is a picture of the pegbox of a fiddle that is said to have been looted from a Georgia home (by one of Sherman's men?). Compare the G string peg to the peg pointed out in my first post.

Nathan Dodds
        Last edited by Nathan Dodds; 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM.
        Nathan Dodds

Comment

Originally posted by Indianabugles View Post
          I have stoically refused, as some suggested to go to gut strings as experiments in doing so resulted in bad quality of sound, massive tuning issues and a volume defecit.
          Have you tried Aquila gut strings? They are the best sounding strings I have heard thus far. They do take about a week to stablize. And they don't favor some modern make Violins.

Nathan Dodds
          Nathan Dodds

Comment

Christian:

I sypathize with your dissapointment in using gut strings because of the issues cited: "bad quality of sound, massive tuning issues and deficit of volume", however, all of these could be attributed to the differences between 19th century and 20th century violin sound. During the 20th century, metal and synthetics (such as nylon/perlon) were added to the violin, as well as rising pitch as dictated by the changing tastes of the public. This "improved" sound is beautiful, but not what would have been heard during the 19th century. The 19th century sound, though somewhat more primitive, has a certain charm and warmth, without the metallic edge added by steel, or nylon wound with steel and other metals. And, definitely, the volume is lower, for two reasons: gut strings do not ring as loud as synthetic/metal ones, and slightly lower pitch decreases the pressure on the belly of the violin, reducing the volume. Rather than considering this as reduced volume, think of it as the original sound, which was altered since the mid 19th century, resulting in augmented volume, "foreign" to the original 19th century sound. In the last couple of decades, many people have returned to uncovered gut strings, including many "period" orchestras and soloists, as well as traditional players. I also play and teach classical, and usually use a modern outfitted violin for that, and a period violin with gut strings for reproducing a 19th century sound. It takes a little getting used to, but worth the effort. Nathan mentions Aquila strings - I know of them but haven't used them yet. I have had great success with Pirastro Chorda strings (with a Eudoxa G string). I had difficulty in the beginning, but then somehow adjusted my playing to suit the 19th century instrument set-up. I wish you the best of luck (and patience).
            Last edited by eric marten; 08-04-2008, 06:26 AM.
            Eric Marten

Comment

Thanks Guys for all the replies. I am heartened by your understandings of the problems. I also play in chamber orchestras and require my French "Classical Violin" to do that as well as double up for re-enacting. This is a massive improvement on the previous scenario where I had to use my Yugoslavian folk violin, which s also fitted up for Electric playing which also doubles as my Heavy Metal violin.
              The Yugo has bags of attack but needs to be loud and is well suited to its role as a folk and rock violin but lacks the subtly and gentle sustain of the Frenchie which I use for chamber or dueting with my brother(Also a modern steel string player)
              My final violin is a 3/4 size Lark, a leftover from school days and is in no way comparable to the other two. It is also my test bed and may have adversely contributed to my test, unavoidably as I could not for reasons stated above interfere with the existing set up of the first two.
              I would like to set up a full period violin but am financially obliged elsewhere for the immediate future.
              The pear drop, as pictured in previous post is also steel strung and is not mine to be playing about with. It was built from the carcass of a modern violin and even with steels on is notoriously unstable which is a shame.
              Please do not think me glib or dismissive though as I too am a mandolin, guitar and Lap Dulcimer player on occasions but will not at events as all of the versions I have of these are modern and I am quite frankly sick of seeing truss rodded dreadnaughts passed off and strum played as period guitars and therefore go out of my way to play violin on the move around the camp and play the limited array of period correct music as much and as loudly as possible.
              It has been somewhat of a struggle to shed comprehension of what Period music is to several groups of non musicians and to explain that Ashoguns Farewell is about as period as Megadeath.
              Perseverance is paying off though and we have now several musicians playing correct stuff, unfortunatly on steels, so for the moment this final expedient will have to wait, which is a shame, I have noted the makes though and may retest when a better frame for doing so becomes available.
              I am also looking more toward a campaign impression for the future and if any of you can throw light on how violins were carried on campaign please do so on my thread Campaign violin and I will be eternally grateful.

Christan Sprakes
              19h Regimental Musician and Bugler.
              [B][I]Christian Sprakes
              19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Indianabugles View Post
                ...It has been somewhat of a struggle to shed comprehension of what Period music is to several groups of non musicians and to explain that Ashoguns (i.e. Ashokan- dw) Farewell is about as period as Megadeath. Perseverance is paying off though and we have now several musicians playing correct stuff, unfortunatly on steels, so for the moment this final expedient will have to wait, which is a shame...Christan Sprakes
                Christian -

Right on. Had to endure both playing Ashokan Farewell and bringing my period-style banjo to modern pitch (from Minstrel "A")at last two events just to stay in play - As an amateur musician I can't transpose equivelent places on the fretboard for more than a couple tunes I'd worked out prior.

I find that violin / fiddle players are generally most apt in these settings at picking up key signature and the circle of 5th's changes on the fly so a joy to play with...

Dan Wykes
                Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                X