The Recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Recorder

Spurred on by my interest in Baroque music I have started to teach myself the Alto Recorder. However it would be great as well if I could have it along at some reenactments.

So my question is, has anyone come across accounts of a Recorder in camp, or can anyone give me a lead to follow where I might be able to find such an account or information?

Any referenced help would be appreciated. A search on the forums didn't turn up much.

Thank you.
    - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
    1st California Co. F
    Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
    -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Re: The Recorder

Please correct me if I am wrong but are the finger positions for recorder very similar to those of the fife?
    (Excuse not knowing, I am a string player)
    Also, if I may ask, what Baroque music are you playing? which composers? The reason I ask is in connection with my post (Other Period music?) upon the applicability of Baroque, especially Bach in an ACW impression

Christian Sprakes
    19thRegimental musician
    Last edited by Indianabugles; 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM. Reason: not wanting to repost after quickposting during break at work
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

I had to comment on this one.

I am also a great fan of Baroque music, and in particular the keyboard works of JS Bach. Sadly, this great music strikes me as distinctly out of place within the American Civil War context. In the century following his death, his music was considered "old fashioned" and was largely forgotten. Certainly the great Bach revival began in Europe in 1829 with Felix Mendelsson and in 1850 with the formation of the Bach Gesellschaft in Germany to promote his works. However it seems unlikely that this had much of a toehold by 1861 in the United States. I believe the Moravians of North Carolina were known to practice European chamber music, but I have seen no documentation whether they had access to any of the works of Bach.

Bottom line: Even if rare documentation surfaces, the appearance of Bach's music, Baroque music or use of a recorder at a Civil War event would be out of the norm. I'm afraid it would come off as a forced justification of a personal interest and would probably be better off left at home. Sorry.

Paul McKee
      Last edited by CompanyWag; 07-29-2008, 07:13 PM.
      Paul McKee

Comment

Although the fingerings for the lower octaves are very similar, the technique for the fife is completely different.

The obvious choice for an instrument similar to the recorder that was much more commonly played would be the tin whistle. I know nothing about Baroque music, but I imagine you wouldn't be able to play much of it because of the limited number of notes available on a six-holed whistle or fife. By the way, does the blow-hole count as a hole, making it seven?
        Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 07-29-2008, 07:10 PM.
        Will Chappell

Comment

I know nothing about Baroque music, but I imagine you wouldn't be able to play much of it because of the limited number of notes available on a six-holed whistle or fife. By the way, does the blow-hole count as a hole, making it seven?
          As one of the few fifers that can play the full 3 1/2 octave range on a fife, the range is not the issue. Where the player is limited is in the keys that can be played and the fingering for keys other than the Key of G(#) or D(##). The player must also keep in mind that the fife is a transposing instrument which means the fingered note is not the note being heard. Baroque music was thought of as being out of fashion and was not common outside of the larger urban cities unless you reside from Europe. The main question that you need to look at is the context of the impression that you portraying. Most baroque music was not written for solo instrument but for an ensemble and is best played in that format unless for harpsichord/piano forte or organ.

Bottom line: Even if rare documentation surfaces, the appearance of Bach's music, Baroque music or use of a recorder at a Civil War event would be out of the norm. I'm afraid it would come off as a forced justification of a personal interest and would probably be better off left at home. Sorry.
          I must agree with Paul on this one
          Timothy J. Hubbell P.M.
          Mt. Vernon Lodge #31
          Mt. Vernon, IL

We must know our past to know our future.

Comment

Originally posted by DOC1861 View Post
            As one of the few fifers that can play the full 3 1/2 octave range on a fife, the range is not the issue. Where the player is limited is in the keys that can be played and the fingering for keys other than the Key of G(#) or D(##).
            I do recall one event several years ago a fifer played notes higher than this high D, but I was in too much awe to ask for fingerings. Now this got me curious as to where I could get fingerings for those notes; I've never seen fingerings for them. Do you have them by chance?

Originally posted by DOC1861 View Post
            Baroque music was thought of as being out of fashion and was not common outside of the larger urban cities unless you reside from Europe. The main question that you need to look at is the context of the impression that you portraying. Most baroque music was not written for solo instrument but for an ensemble and is best played in that format unless for harpsichord/piano forte or organ.

I must agree with Paul on this one
            I also agree with this. There was a thread very similar to this topic a few months ago: http://authentic-campaigner.com/foru...ad.php?t=17213
            Donald Heminitz

"It’s always nice to hear good music played well." — John C. Moon

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

I should have clarified the question a bit more (my mistake), I am learning the Alto Recorder because I of my fondness of Baroque. However, I was curious if the Recorder might have found another use in American music contemporary with the Civil War.

I have found some sheet music for Christmas and Hymns that would have been sung at the time of the Civil War, but I am curious to find how common the Recorder would have been in other genres that coincide with the period.

Thank you all, again.
              - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
              1st California Co. F
              Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
              -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Guard View Post
                Thank you for your replies.

I should have clarified the question a bit more (my mistake), I am learning the Alto Recorder because I of my fondness of Baroque. However, I was curious if the Recorder might have found another use in American music contemporary with the Civil War.

I have found some sheet music for Christmas and Hymns that would have been sung at the time of the Civil War, but I am curious to find how common the Recorder would have been in other genres that coincide with the period.

Thank you all, again.
                I too wondered this with a friend recently.

Den Bolda
                Den Bolda

Comment

Working...
                X