David Kincaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Kincaid

Is anyone familear with the musician David Kincaid? My main inquiery is to the authenticity of his work

Here are links to his work

Steven Flibotte
    Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
    Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Re: David Kincaid

I here guitar strummed with a plectrum in a very modern way. Can't tell if the strings are steel, but they sound suspiciously shrill. Also, sounds like a mandolin is present. In the description phrases like "use of only period style instruments," typically indicates a red flag. I am no expert, but I thought accordions were made in Germany and were not called "Irish button accordions" (I could have this wrong). It also includes the ever-present anachronistic bodhran.
    -Joel Hooks

Comment

*listens to MP3 track again* yes I hear it all as-well, I think it is an unanimous red flag from all. How about the authenticity of the lyrics?
      Steven Flibotte

Comment

Dave's music is great to listen to and he is a nice guy but the music is not played with period instruments. If you are after a good Irish music cd the two he put out are good. If you are looking for period music played on period instruments there are some better sources on cd to get.
        Rob Walker
        Co. H
        119th NYSV
        Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

Here's an interview with Kincaid about producing his album. I won't summarize here, but those who are interested can read on it there. Authentic or not, it's a pretty interesting account of how he came up with the concept, and I listen to it on the way to most reenactments.
          Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

I'll offer a few notes on my friend Dave. I believe he uses a guitar with nylon strings, he does use a mandolin & octave mandolin with steel strings. His banjo is skin head, fretless, and gut or nylon strung.

The button accordian he uses I believe was around during the Civil War. I think they start to show up in America in the 1840s. Its a small instrument with a minimum of buttons/keys. The musician he uses is one of the best button guys around. Same for the Irish pipe musician.

The lyrics are authentic, taken off original song sheets and broadsides (except for the song Free & Green). As an all around musician he is incredibly talented, I'd put him up against anyone on this forum. (he is also a phenominal lyricist, though that doesn't really apply here).

In a nutshell he's not 100% authentic, who is?

If you do like his music you'll be glad to know he's working on his third CW recording. He is actively looking for Irish related Civil War songs, if you have any, send them to me and I'll pass them along to him.

Greg Starbuck
            The brave respect the brave. The brave
            Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
            That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
            And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Thank you Greg, you nailed exactly what I wanted to know.
              Thank you to all the other posters as well.
              Steven Flibotte

Comment

Working...
              X