Peeler Fife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeler Fife.

For my b-day this year I received a Peeler Firth & Pond Bb w/ historical fingering in grenadilla. I have had a few weeks to play with and I have to say it is excellent. It is a work of art. Craftsmanship is perfect. I read the previous posts before choosing, and it became clear that this was the best option. After playing it, I don't think I understand the reasoning behind getting one of the modern shaped, slicked-up, chrome plated fifes. This one is incredibly easy to play even in first position. It plays in tune enough that I do not notice sharp or flat notes. I would also like to add a warning to new fife players. Something that is not written in available tutors and that I did not read in any of my research. Practice with earplugs. Using a sound meter and testing at one yard from the fife, playing "The Girl I Left Behind Me." I checked the levels of the plastic fife I began on and my new Peeler. The plastic fife averaged 95dB to 112dB. The Peeler, 90dB- 110dB. To put it in perspective, exposure to 94dB for over 1 hour can cause permanent hearing loss, over 2 minutes at 109, the same. Hearing is important to musicians, so be careful.
    -Joel Hooks

Re: Peeler Fife.

Just finished practicing for a couple of hours. What'd you say? ;)

Mirth aside, the Peelers are nice. John Peeler also produced prototypes of an Oliver Ditson fife, which I tested about a year ago, but he apparently hasn't yet offered it to the public (it's not on his website). I hope he does, because the Ditson was a "sweet little tooter."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: Peeler Fife.

Hey Mark

Its "Ron" Peeler by the way not John, I have two F&P replica's in b flat one in C (you haven't played field music til you've played in on a C, you may never go back to b flat)
      I have one of those proto type Ditson replica's it is a nice little tooter..
      I have been singing his praises for eons now, he's done the most obvious and simplest thing imaginable and its something no one else has seemed to think of doing
      take one of those numerous orginal fifes, from the period, that have been floating all over ebay for years and simply copy it taa daa

fifing and piping for 30 years and amazingly enough I can still hear, just gotta talk slower cause I cant hear as fast as I used to ;-)
      Joe Korber

oh so many things,
      way to much to list
      have a good one
      :wink_smil

Comment

Working...
      X