Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minstrel banjo instruction dvds?

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
    We cannot just make up what we think might be the way "untutored" banjo-players played because we risk the chance of coming up with a style that no one used in the 1860s.

I admit I may fall into the "tutor-worshipper" camp, but the musicians who belong to that school of thought are going off what is actally documented as opposed to those who belong to the "this is the way they may have played it" camp. Without a time machine, the tutors are really the only way to get the satisfaction of playing something the exact same way that at least some musicians in the 1860 did. Everyone but the authors of the tutors took their styles and techniques with them to the grave.
    You hit the nail on the head here, Will. All other sources must necessairly be filtered through what we know of period practice from the tutors. Without the tutors, we got nothin'.

And a player whose style and repertiore contains nothing from the tutors is by definition not authentic.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

I know nothing on the subject so I usually don't moderate this forum, but the comments in the deleted post were confrontational and not welcomed on this forum. I'll wait for another, more informed mod to make the final decision on the rest of the content of this thread.

In the meantime, Danny and Carl need to tone it down here or they can share a time out.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27 View Post
        I know nothing on the subject so I usually don't moderate this forum...
        So when will we get someone that does?
        Rick Bailey
        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Working...
        X