Loading by Nines with music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading by Nines with music

Hi, this is a question I'm asking for a drummer on a different forum, but I thought I would bring it up here, as no one could really answer it. I thought if anyone would know it would be you. Was music (that is drumming) used during the drill for loading by nines? Casey's spells out the movements, but doesn't give any music to accompany it. And the drummer nor anyone else could find anything period with music.

There was one living history i was at, where the infantry did this drill as demonstration for the spectators. The drummers played along. I think a flam for each movement, and then for "ready, aim, fire" there was a roll. Is this period correct, or is there a period correct drum beat, or is this entirely a re-enactorism?

Thanks,

Don
    Donald Heminitz

"It’s always nice to hear good music played well." — John C. Moon

Re: Loading by Nines with music

I have never heard of this or seen any evidence of this in any books. I could be wrong but I would have to say no.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
    Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Don,

As a former member of the Mifflin Guard Fife & Drum Corps, we never did anything like that and like Mr. Herring said there is no evidence in any of the books or manuals that I have seen. I think the "fire by drum" is more a reenactorism than anything. Loading in 9 times is meant to be a drill for the men in the ranks and not used on the field. I can't see where a need for field music to play along because it would drown out the instructor teaching the troops the loading procedures.

But then again, maybe someone has more knowledge of this.
      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

I recall reading an account of a colonel using his drum-major to show off for some visitors in camp. He would whisper in the drum-major's ear, and the drum-major would tap out the signals on the drum, after which the men would perform various evolutions. The audience was impressed how the colonel could command his men without using any audible verbal commands. Unfortunately, I have lost the reference, but I am certain there are other accounts of drums being used in this manner during training. There are also signals for cease and commence firing, etc. in the various drum manuals from the period. This method would not be effective in real combat, however, since drums would be hard to distinguish from gunfire. Drums were used more effectively to relay commands in earlier wars, and drummers, if available, were probably used this way in the earliest part of the War Between the States. As the war progressed, officers and musicians realized that the bugle was much more effective than the drum for relaying commands. Reading through the various diaries such as Charles Bardeen's A Little Fifer's War Diary, and Delavan Miller's Drum Taps in Dixie, one will come to the conclusion that drummers either shirked or were forced to assist the surgeon or act as stretcher bearers. Bardeen's book even says his fife-major would basically desert if he knew there was going to be a battle.

But back to the original question...

I have not seen any reference to loading in nine times specifically, but for an early-war impression, I think it would be appropriate to use the signals from the manuals for a demonstration, but I would not recommend making up signals even though it is possible and likely that there were many used which are now long-forgotten.

As a general rule, I say stick with what's in the manuals and diaries first. There is plenty of material already available.
        Will Chappell

Comment

The former Gettysburg Visitor Center's interpretive video about infantry drill had a puzzling segment of "the company will fire by music," using drums to signal the Ready-Aim-Fire. Never was too sure where that came from.

Elmer Ellsworth's Chicago Zouave Cadets had a "silent drill" segment to their shows, in which the men would change arms by drum tap, which may be the previously referenced "Colonel and the Drum Major" story. However, that was strictly for show, part of the choreography.
          Marc A. Hermann
          Liberty Rifles.
          MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
          Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

The NPS video is probably the reenactorism "fire by the drum." The drum signal "commence firing" found in the manuals does not indicate that it is used for a volley, and if one listens to the period signals, he will see that they are not set up in a "ready, aim, fire" fashion.

I wonder if that is the same "colonel and the drum-major" account. I wish I could remember the reference.
            Will Chappell

Comment

Here are the signals for commence firing from Hart (1862) and B&E (1861).
              Attached Files
              Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks everyone! I too thought it was a re-enactorism when playing during the movements. But I really didn't know so I wanted to double check with all of you. But I knew there was a drum signal in B&E for Commence Firing. Thanks for the help, I will let the people on the other forum know.
                Donald Heminitz

"It’s always nice to hear good music played well." — John C. Moon

Comment

There are calls for firing, but as far as me own knowledge stretches, there are no calls for the steps of loading....
                  Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                  The Tater Mess

Comment

Originally posted by DonH View Post
                    Thanks everyone! I too thought it was a re-enactorism when playing during the movements. But I really didn't know so I wanted to double check with all of you. But I knew there was a drum signal in B&E for Commence Firing. Thanks for the help, I will let the people on the other forum know.
                    No drum beat for the loading....but we do have contemporary accounts of doing the manual of arms by drum taps.....and there is no reason to believe they didn't do it for loading as well.
                    There is an account in the 26th Wisconsin book "The Sigel Regiment: A History Of The 26th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865 (Hardcover)
                    by James S. Pula (Author) "

early on while still in 'training' of being well drilled and turning out to impress the visitors to include the manual of arms by cadence.

So would I recommend it for a unit in the field.....no. But for a unit in training with either German, or prior military experience, drill instructors? Possibly.
                    RJ Samp
                    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                    X