Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Buying a Guitar.

Howdy Y'all
    Im considering buying an authentic guitar but do not know where to get one or how much it woulde cost for one. also I dont know what ther supposed to look like. and woulde oldtime bluegrass fit in with this type of musick or is ther a different style of playing guitar? any help would be well appreciated
    thanks in advance.
    Ken Balos
    Ken Balos

Re: Considering Buying a Guitar.

Blue Grass...... I do not think so.

Use the search function. The Guitar issue was discussed about a month or two ago. You will find your answers in that thread.
    Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by KAB View Post
      Howdy Y'all Im considering buying an authentic guitar but do not know where to get one or how much it woulde cost for one. also I dont know what ther supposed to look like. and woulde oldtime bluegrass fit in with this type of musick or is ther a different style of playing guitar? any help would be well appreciated thanks in advance. Ken Balos
      Ken -

What Paul said is the way to go: use the search word 'guitar' in this forum and you will get more than you ever dreamed of on the topic of what guitar to buy and what style to use.

You should know first that most folks who have studied American music will tell you that Old-time and Bluegrass are two different styles. Bluegrass began only after 1925 or so, and Old-time began after 1880 or so. Before those it was just standard guitar style and classical guitar style, which weren't all that different except for the sheet music they used.

During Civil War times they didn't use a flat pick but only finger-style, and played on gut and wound silk strings only, no steel strings, and on the smallest guitars you've ever seen. That's the hardest part for those of us who have played Old-style or Bluegrass music on a big steel-string guitar using a flat pick -- to learn all over again in the old standard guitar style of the Civil War without a flat pick and without steel strings.

Good luck, I hope it's an easy change for you to make.

Dan Wykes
      p.s. I'm from Michigan myself and they don't use "Y'all" up there - are you originally from somewhere else?
      Danny Wykes

Comment

To Danny,
        No Im from Michigan, I just travell quit a bit down south and thats how I picked the word y'all. Now when you talk of finger style do you mean like a chet atkins guitar style or is it more like a claw hamer bonjoy style of playing?
        Ken Balos

Comment

I guess I shoulde have asked does anyone know of guitar makers out theer that builde authntic guitars for less than $100?
          Ken Balos

Comment

I guess I shoulde have asked does anyone know of guitar makers out theer that builde authntic guitars for less than $100?
            That's a big NO on that one, pard!

Comment

ok how much do guitars go for in the reenacting world
              Ken Balos

Comment

Quick Moderator Note:

KAB, you need to remember to sign every post and response with your name. If you need help configuring your signature block, please let me or another moderator know. Otherwise, your posts are going to be removed for non-compliance with the main rule around here.

Moderator Bonnet Off.

The key here is, you're not looking for a guitar "in the hobby." You're looking for a repro of an antique-styled instrument, and you can expect to spent a good amount of money for something so singular. They're not generally dirt cheap. (Heck, my "dirt cheap" cello was $600.)

With a slim budget, it might be more affordable to look at a different period instrument, rather than compromise on the quality of something like a guitar. (A well trained voice is extremely portable and handy, for instance! :) )

Here's an interesting "guitar family tree" image:

Some information on an 1830s guitar at the top here:

From the same site, an interesting audio file of a piece played on an 1830s guitar:
                Regards,
                Elizabeth Clark

Comment

...Now when you talk of finger style do you mean like a chet atkins guitar style or is it more like a claw hamer bonjoy style of playing?
                  OK, Ken -

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're using names and words that have something to do with guitar, but it seems you might not really know what those names and words really mean. If you are a player already, you must know that any kind of guitar that's not a toy should cost more than $100. Respectfully, I would suggest you take a breather and first learn some basic facts about guitars in general before you confuse yourself anymore about what Civil War guitar is all about. Your local Library or music store are better places to start.

Right off the bat: forget about Chet Atkins, Bluegrass, Old time, clawhammer etc. because all those names and words came along well after the Civil War. They are not appropriate in this forum.

Also, and please don't be offended, but consider having someone in your household check your spelling before you post. It's actually hard to pick out what you're asking at times.

Elizabeth - thanks for the guitar links, but that sound file is not an example of the popular style of guitar used in CW times. It's a classical piece from the period that not many plain folks, common soldiers, in the CW would have heard or appreciated.

Dan Wykes

btw if you're the 'Ken' that I know, you'll have to get up a little earlier in the morning to make this one believable :) .
                  Last edited by Danny; 10-03-2008, 09:09 AM.
                  Danny Wykes

Comment

Good to know! I'm rather fond of the classical stuff... I'd anticipate coming across that if associating with those having a more "classical" background, then? I found the sound itself interesting; my brother is a modern musician, and has only one instrument strung with gut strings--it's a very different sound than what I tend to think of as "modern" guitar, that's for sure!
                    Regards,
                    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Dan:

You're being so patient with your answers; however, I suspect that the original inquiry (and follow up questions) might be some kind of joke.
                      Eric Marten

Comment

Sorry no joke I honestly dont have a clue as to what it woulde cost for a reenacting guitar but I have some sort of idea now.
                        I woulde like to thank all of you for your patience as I am very new to this forum and reenacting.so I dont intend for this to be a joke at all!

Kenny Balos
                        Ken Balos

Comment

"It's a classical piece from the period that not many plain folks, common soldiers, in the CW would have heard or appreciated."

Sorry, I'm not buying this broad-brush statement. These "plain folk, common soldiers" were probably more culturally aware than you give them credit for. They read Shakespeare, Cicero, Plato, Dickens and Thoreau (according to previous threads on the AC) as well as the dime-store novels. You won't convince me they did not appreciate classical music, be it written for piano, harpsichord, guitar, lute, harp or full orchestration. I would think that even the most untrained musician of the time would not pass up an opportunity to attend a performance of Bach, Corelli or Sor.

But that is just my not-so-humble opinion...
                          Mark Ehrsam
                          Susquehanna Travellers
                          York, Pa.

Comment

Mark: I agree with you. My point of reference is with fiddlers/violinists, and many of them (though obviously not all) were familiar with classical as well as folk (popular) music, and playing styles, as well documented by the Mount brothers of Stony Brook, L.I. during the period leading right up to the war.
                            Ken: Ok, I accept that your inquiry was not a joke - I guess I just got distracted by your many references to modern country music, such as Chet Atkins, Bluegrass, etc. (and bonjoy - what is that?)
                            Eric Marten

Comment

does anybody know where i can get a cd on the guitar styles of the period. I play guitar by ear so sheet music woulde not really be a help to me, but if I hear a song I can pick it up pretty easy.

eric-sorry about bonjo pard, I meant to say banjo. country and bluegrass is the only music I know, I don't want to cause any problems when I am referring to this kind of music so if you feel I am out of place when referring to this kind of music pleas feel free to let me know or send me a p.m. the last thing I want is to cause problems!

So just what do you call the guitar style of playing during the civil war ?

do you call it folk music????????????????????????????????

Ken Balos
                              Last edited by KAB; 10-05-2008, 03:20 PM.
                              Ken Balos

Comment

Working...
                              X