Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred Harp in Missouri

Good Morning All,
    I wanted to let everyone know that the Columbia, Missouri Sacred Harp Association will be having an all-day Sacred Harp singing at the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Columbia, Missouri on Saturday, October 11 (this Saturday) starting at 10:00 am and lasting until 3:00 pm. There will be books available for loan and purchase and a pot luck dinner on the grounds.

For those who don't know, the Sacred Harp is the name of one of the most popular songbooks of the 1840s-1860s and involves 3 or 4-part accapella singing on religious themes. It is a long running and period tradition of us Southrons and frontier Missourians. Even if you can't carry a tune, if you're in the area, come out and give it a try.

Free and open to the public.
    Also, if there are folks from Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, etc. that feel like making the trek one Sunday a month I am starting a local chapter for singing Sacred Harp and other traditional religious music here in Warsaw, Missouri (near Sedalia/Columbia).

Send me a PM if you'd like more information on either.
    Thanks,
    Matt Shomaker
    [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
    [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
    "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
    [COLOR="Red"]
    Marmaduke's Raid
    MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
    [/COLOR]

Re: Sacred Harp in Missouri

Matt,

As an aside, University of Nebraska Press reprinted an 1850's version of a Missouri shaped note hymnal several years back. A few pages were printed funny, and they then sold them at about $3 a copy. They've proved to a wonderful resource, even though the arrangements in The Sacred Harp in common use today have not changed in the intervening years.

Have a wonderful time! Its about time for singing school to crank up here.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

The NAU choir sang Weeping Mary yesterday at a performance, it was incredible.
      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
      1st California Co. F
      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,
        I assume you are referring to the "Missouri Harmony" which dates back to about1850. We will also be singing some selections from it as well.
        [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
        "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
        [COLOR="Red"]
        Marmaduke's Raid
        [/COLOR]

Comment

I wish you all in Missouri well with your convention. I am a Sacred Harper from Texas, this is my 20th year singing. Ya'll come visit us and we will visit you!

For years I have been saying we should organize a singing school at a reenactment, and now I no longer have time and energy to put into the prospect but still hope it will happen somehow. I look forward to harmonizing with you.

The SacredHarp.mus website linked below has become quite the magnum opus and has quite a few mid-19th cent. shapenote books on it as "playable" files. Unfortunately we could not include Missouri Harmony because it is a) copyrighted, and b) heavily reworked, though still an excellent book musically. They basically took out all the songs that overlap with the Sacred Harp, reasoning that the same people are now singing both, so why duplicate? But it inevitably seems to have severed Mo. Har. from its roots somehow. The original version is what would be needed for our purposes, and there are still quite a few out there .... along with Southern Harmony, Christian Harmony, Harmonia Sacra, etc., that are still in print and have not been reworked at all.
          Last edited by amity; 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM.
          Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Just a last minute plug for this Saturday. Anyone interested in coming out and trying your...lungs...at singing Sacred Harp in Columbia, Missouri is more than welcome. Interested folks can contact me by sometime this evening for more details.

Thanks all,
            MS
            [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
            [COLOR="Red"]
            Marmaduke's Raid
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X