Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for period music CD's, no lyrics

Hello,

I am looking for what ever are the current or good quality recordings of period music; specifically national and social music, folk, whatever.... but without lyrics. Just instrumental. Or a minimum of lyrical arrangements. And not played on a synthesizer.

If you have recommendation and sources to purchase (CD's preferred), please advise.

Not looking so much for Fife and Drum, espcially Camp chase since I have all their stuff. But other current well known and good quality recordings are of interest.

Regards

Ben
    Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Re: Looking for period music CD's, no lyrics

Ben:

I recorded a CD of solo fiddle in 2001, twenty nine 19th century tunes on a period instrument, gut strings, etc., which I regularly perform at Old Bethpage Village Restoration. The gift shop no longer functions, but I still have a small inventory, and also plan to record another CD of tunes and duets this year. You can contact me at fiddlecd@aol.com.
    Eric Marten

Comment

Originally posted by buckandball View Post
      ...I am looking for what ever are the current or good quality recordings of period music; specifically national and social music, folk, whatever.... but without lyrics. Just instrumental. Or a minimum of lyrical arrangements. And not played on a synthesizer. If you have recommendation and sources to purchase (CD's preferred), please advise. Regards Ben
      Ben -

Recently released is Tim Twiss' "Grapevine Twist" CD, entirely instrumental and available from CDBaby or Elderly Instruments. All performed with mid-ninteenth century technique reproduction banjo with a few period rhythm instruments. Not the most popular song tunes at the time; you may not have heard of several of them; but they were all played on stage back then in Minstrel shows etc.

Dan Wykes
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Mr. Grant,

I highly recommend brass band music from the Federal City Brass Band. All music is played on period instruments using original music scores. Follow link to hear sound bytes and purchase.

Kyle Russell
        "Mister Bugler" per Charles Heath
        Federal City Brass Band &
        26th North Carolina Regimental Band

Into the Piney Woods
        Fort Moultrie
        Bummers

Comment

The Civil War Collections, Volumes 1 and 2, by Jim Taylor are excellent. I listen to them daily.
          Bruce Schultz

Comment

Bruce, I have Mr. Taylor's two CD's and they are really good, though I wish the sound mixer guy had mixed the hammer dulcimer volume a little softer... but that's my preference, and not a knock on the quality of the music.

To the rest, thank you for the info, I will follow up all directly!

Regards
            Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Working...
            X