Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred Harp at Boonesfield Village November

All,
    I am having some trouble with the Yahoo Groups site for the November event so I will post this here as well as try to send a copy to Silvana so she can post on the Boonesfield Group.

Those of you that are trying your hands, and lungs, at Sacred Harp next weekend (November 7-9) will want to read this short primer I wrote on the shaped note tradition and some rudimentary rudiments in preparation. I will also be posting scans of an 1869 edition of the Sacred Harp on the Boonesfield Group for you to print off (the pages will be the songs we are going to try) and some links for listening to shaped note music.

Thanks and enjoy.
    Please e-mail me at: mchenrytf@yahoo.com or PM me on the forum if you have any questions.

Matt Shomaker
    Attached Files
    [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
    [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
    "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
    [COLOR="Red"]
    Marmaduke's Raid
    MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
    [/COLOR]

Re: Sacred Harp at Boonesfield Village November

Thanks for that, Matt. I look forward to trying this style of singing at the event. Playing and singing music that someone has actually bothered to research is my favorite part of our side of the hobby.

I'll be giving banjo lessons all weekend. They will be taught in strict adherance to the principals and practices of music! Also, the 'odor of the grog shop' will not be tolerated. So stop by the mercantile for some of Deborah Hylands ginger candy if you have to :tounge_sm
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Hey Carl, I hope I can squeeze in a lesson! :D
      Anna Allen
      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

"Also, the 'odor of the grog shop' will not be tolerated. So stop by the mercantile for some of Deborah Hylands ginger candy if you have to..."
        Carl,
        I'll have you know that us potters are truly the salt of the earth...or, saltware...
        I'll have to stop by for a banjo lesson sometime.

Thanks,
        MS
        [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
        [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
        "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
        [COLOR="Red"]
        Marmaduke's Raid
        MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Matt, I look forward to seeing you and playing some music, and thanks for the Sacred Harp information, singing in that style with everyone will be a real treat. We do so much neat stuff there, my daughter and I can hardly wait.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Matt...and Carl...I look forward to learning more about Sacred Harp singing! I have a book that Terry Shchill gave me and I'm anxious for you to see it and to learn more about it...A banjo lesson will be a new experience as well...I must admit that playing the fiddle is my deep hearts desire, but learning a bit about the historical side of the Banjo will be a real treat as well. :)

I'll be needed in my "boarding house" and the Engledew House is expecting a full house of boarders, but I'm sure I'll be able to slip out for abit of fun :)

Regards
            Vivian Murphy aka widow Engledew

Comment

Working...
            X