George Carroll's New Drum Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Carroll's New Drum Book

FYI, for you musicians who play the drum (yes, drummers ARE musicians), there's a new treat out (just in time for Xmas!). George Carroll finally finished the book on drums he's been working on for a few decades, and I got a copy. It's called "American Drums of War 1607-2007 A Drum Chronology". It's going for $35, but I don't know where you can pick them up on the open market yet. You might watch his website www.ropedrum.com for info on availability.

It's similar to Craig Caba's book on drums and the book on Civil War musical instruments by Mark Elrod and Robert Garofalo which George helped out on, only much bigger in scope than either, covering a much wider time period (and 182 pages). Like the Elrod/Garofalo book, it is full-sized, softbound, with a glossy color cover, with lots and lots of photos, many in color, of historical drums from the ca. 1652 Framingham, MA drum all the way up to examples of modern reproduction drums he's made for people over the years.

There are a couple of drums purported to be F&I, and about ten drums from the Rev War period, including those said to be used at Lexington, Bunker Hill and Guilford Courthouse. There are a couple claimed to have been captured from the British, including one whose bullet holes were patched up and it was reused through the Civil War. In fact it's interesting how little drums really changed in shape and size from the mid-1700's to the mid-1800's, and how many were passed down to be used in future conflicts. There are a few more from late 18th century, some Eli Browns, and many more from the Civil War and afterward. Lots of verbatim quotes of stories (mini-histories) that surround the drums. Many of the drums are from museums, as well as from well-known collectors such as Fred Benkovick, John Bosworth and Jim Smith, who helped out on the book.

There's no table of contents or index, which is fitting since its style is a hodgepodge of information in roughly chronological form. There are biographies of historical figures such as a fifer at Lexington, famed drum maker Sanford Moeller, and the equally famed drum maker Patty Cooperman. Expanding on a similar list in Caba's book, there's a list of many historical drum makers from around the world in the back, with the years they were in business. Lots of other information about drumming, sticks, slings, and how drums were made, including photos of equipment from the Noble & Cooley drum factory. Many quotes from diaries, memoirs and books about how the drums were used. Also many comments from long-time drummer-historians such as Alan Goldfinger and others.

Being a brand new book with tons of info, there are probably some minor errors. I note that the Elias Howe who was the one of biggest sheet music sellers and instrument dealers in the country is also credited as being his cousin, the Elias Howe who invented the sewing machine (being both would have been REALLY exceptional). But even so, for interested parties, the book is a great overview of American military drums.

Sorry, not really much about the music itself, or fifes. Maybe that'll be another book.

Joe Whitney
    2nd SC String Band
    Md LIne Field Music

Re: George Carroll's New Drum Book

Very Cool! and YES WE ARE MUSICAINS! ha ha I'll have to pick it up, thanks fro gettin de info out
    Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
    The Tater Mess

Comment

Wow, thanks! I talked to him a while ago when the book was almost finished, so I am really glad to hear that he published it!
      Sincerely,
      William H. Chapman
      Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Excellent! I'll keep my eyes on this one! Though I still play every now and then...it's good to hear that old George is researching and writing the music. I remember when he was my martial musick director at Colonial Williamsburg. I was hoping that he would include the old martial music that we found in Great Britain back in '92. Since my son has picked up the drum now, we can pass the music onto him. I'll look forward to the purchase of this fine publication.

Capt. Nick Miller
        "The Acorn Boys"

33rd OVI, Co. F
        Western Federal Blues

"With the bayonet one can do anything."-Napoleon
        [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
        -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
        X