Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Tin Whistle Music for Confederate Musician

Hello friends,

Do any of you know where I can get my hands on music for Confederates played on the Irish tin whistle? I'm sure my friend who desires to play can read music of most any type.. but I'd be interested in any recordings or songbooks for period music that he could play on our upcoming Battle of Franklin Anniversary March. By the way.. I am familiar with the work of Mr. Kincaid and others who've studied period Irish-ish music.. so if all else fails I'll resort to a few of songs in similar style. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Re: Irish Tin Whistle Music for Confederate Musician

Cead Mille Failte...

I don't know off-hand of any books of Irish songs, but there ae tumes well used and known, both North and South. David Kincaid has relied on "Irish Jaunting Car" for example, which is also the basis of Bonnie Blue Flag. Rosin the Beau and Wearing of the Green were also well used tunes, adapted to both Northern and Southern songs. Another one that was know would be Minstrel Boy. If you're looking for lyrics, that's a bit more tricky, but you could go to the Library of Congress American memory page, and look up 19th cdentury songsheets. They don't have the music, but they often have the tune used. The LOC does have some other pages, but most of the music there is American, and not transcriptions of Irish tunes.

Hope this helps,

Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rdN.C.
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
    [/FONT
    ]

Comment

Working...
    X